viewer for .dat pictures

howard64 17:21 02 Feb 2010

A friend has been sent a cd with pictures on it that end with .dat. I cannot find anything to open the files with. Does anyone know of a free viewer for .dat pictures. Thanks in advance.

GaT7 17:27 02 Feb 2010

Try, saving the files to your hard disk (copy + paste), then change their extensions to .jpeg.

But first you may need to enable 'Show extensions for known file types' in Folder Options. G

howard64 17:35 02 Feb 2010

thanks Crossbow7 but that did not work but when I click on the files on my pc nero show time kicks in and plays the files which turn out to be movies. So what I need is a free viewer that I can download onto my friends pc.

GaT7 17:46 02 Feb 2010

Right, so they aren't pictures but videos.

What program did your friend use to make these videos? Or, what format did s/he save the videos in? Try the above, but this time change the extension to the format s/he saved it in (these are usually .avi, .mpeg, .mov, etc).

Then, to view them, use the same program as your friend if possible. If not available for free, try a free media player like VLC click here that'll play almost anything. You may have to change the extensions first though to a video format. G

howard64 19:09 02 Feb 2010

thanks very much Crossbow7 vlc works just fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?