Video Recording direct to DVD

Octoz 00:16 17 Sep 2006

I have a DVB-T USB stick. Can I capture TV programmes straight to DVD?

Jak_1 00:26 17 Sep 2006

Not heard of a tv with a usb port! Do you have a tv tuner card in your pc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:38 17 Sep 2006

May be to a CD, set the software otion for where to record to - to your DVD drive.

Try a record and see if it will burn to it.

XP cannot burn to a DVD you need third party sofware such as nero so TV direct to DVD disk is unlikely.

goonerbill © ® 11:43 17 Sep 2006

Jak_1, what Octoz has is a usb stick that operates in a similar way to a pc tv card with the help of software.

Octoz, as far as i know but have not really delved deep into the subject, you can only record to disk and then transfer to dvd but its all down to the software probably.

goonerbill © ® 11:44 17 Sep 2006

should read you can only record to HDD and then transfer to dvd

Jak_1 13:25 17 Sep 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/XP cannot burn to a DVD you need third party sofware such as nero so TV direct to DVD disk is unlikely.

I beg to differ here, XP can burn to DVD, at least my version of XP-Home sp1 does!

GroupFC 13:30 17 Sep 2006

I'm with Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I suspect that you have some 3rd party s/ware that enables you do this - otherwise please do tell us how you do it!

Jak_1 13:44 17 Sep 2006

I just drag and drop and the inbuilt win burning prog does the rest. Initialises the DVD burns and then finalises if you want it too. I use this as a quick method when only wanting to burn 1 file that is too large for a CD on to a DVD. I have tried the disks I have coppied in both other pc's and standalond DVD players for the tv and had no problems. Have done this with both Mpeg files and jpeg files. Sometimes need to with a folder of jpegs as the jpegs from my camera are usually over 20 MB and so a folder full con be over a GB. That size is required by the media for magazine work to get the best quality pics for printing.

GroupFC 15:19 17 Sep 2006

There must be some other burning s/ware on your PC that enables you to do this - AFAIK, XP only ships with in-built packet-writing to CD (based I believe on Roxio s/ware). I don't doubt what you say, just that it isn't XP, per se, that lets you do this!

I have just googled "dvd burning with XP" and have found these (amongst many others):-

"Windows XP doesn't contain built-in support for burning DVDs. However, Microsoft plans on including built-in support for DVD write capability in the next version of Windows......"
Taken from click here

"We'll discuss those discs first because Windows XP's built-in optical disc recording software cannot handle DVDs....."

and

"If you insert a DVD disc into your DVD drive, Windows XP refers to it as a CD. If you try to write to a DVD recordable disc, you'll get an error message similar to the one in Figure 3.3. Using My Computer to try to write to a DVD recordable disc leads to this error message. The message should read, My Computer can not write to recordable DVDs."

from click here

Octoz 18:55 17 Sep 2006

Hi,
Sorry, forgot to add set up-
AMD 2400+ 2Ghz 1Gig RAM
Windows XP pro.
It would appear from your replies that I cannot record directly onto DVD.
Does anyone know how DVD recorders of the TV type do it?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to try to help :-)

Jak_1 19:20 17 Sep 2006

GroupFC
"We'll discuss those discs first because Windows XP's built-in optical disc recording software cannot handle DVDs....."

from click here

Then how come I do not get any error messages and I can burn a 2.8 GB file to the disk that will be read by other pc's and dvd recorders?

I have never had this error message:

If you insert a DVD disc into your DVD drive, Windows XP refers to it as a CD. If you try to write to a DVD recordable disc, you'll get an error message similar to the one in Figure 3.3.

Figure 3.3 Using My Computer to try to write to a DVD recordable disc leads to this error message. The message should read, My Computer can not write to recordable DVDs.

Now I also fail to see how windows can auto execute 3rd party software (in my case, Pinacle)to take over what it, supposedly, can not do!

Have you tried yourelf to write to DVD's using windows drag and drop? I have and it works on my pc. If it didn't I would have more than a few coasters!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?