video mode

blake66 12:09 19 Jun 2008

I recently switched monitors from an old one to a flat screen one. But when I booted I was given the error msg, "cannot display this video mode, change computer display input to 1024 x [email protected]".

The (flat screen)monitor is set at this and works ok on another drive. The old monitor is also set at this so why does it recognise one drive and not the other?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

crosstrainer 12:12 19 Jun 2008

LCD monitors operate at lower resfresh rates than CRT models.

Connect your old monitor.

Boot PC

Right click the desktop and choose properties.

Change the screen resoloution and refresh rate to that described in the message.

Shut down

Connect your new Flat panel.

Re-boot.

blake66 12:27 19 Jun 2008

Thanks crosstrainer although I'm sure I have tried this but will follow your instr.

blake66 14:04 19 Jun 2008

crosstrainer, I discovered the problem lies with the 'refresh rate'. It is set at.."use hardware default setting" (old monitor). Problem is I can't find where to change that! Any ideas? Thanks

crosstrainer 14:17 19 Jun 2008

XP or Vista?

XP:

from desktop: right click>properties>display>advanced> change refresh rate to 60hz

Vista:

Right click desktop>personalise>display settings>advanced change to 60 hz

Then your new monitor will work.

blake66 14:57 19 Jun 2008

I am using XP and in the 'monitor'(advanced)tab all is 'greyed out' with the 'use the hardware default settings'. So there is no 'option' to change the rate!

crosstrainer 15:15 19 Jun 2008

Check the monitor in device manager, it may have become confused when you plugged in the lcd for the first time.

If you can get at it from there, set to 60hz as in my previous post.

Ditch999 16:22 19 Jun 2008

If crosstrainers advice does not work try reinstalling the graphics driver.

crosstrainer 16:30 19 Jun 2008

And if that won't do the trick, boot into safe mode with the new panel attached.

blake66 12:33 20 Jun 2008

Thanks guys I will try your suggestions

blake66 13:34 21 Jun 2008

Gentlemen, I reinstalled the graphics card and it worked. Thanks a lot for your help and direction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?