Video formats to get HD videos to run on my laptop

aerodynamic750 21:23 23 Feb 2015

Hi This is my first question on the forum.

I have some HD videos recorded using my GoPro4 Black action cam. The video files are 1920x1080 superview at 80fps in MP4 format and are around 2GB in size (around 6000kbps) even though they are only around 4-5 mins long.

The problem is, my laptop isn't powerful enough to view them as they are such large and demanding files, they just stutter and hang. Therefore, I've used Freemake Video Converter to experiment with different video formats that will compress them so that my laptop will cope with them.

I've tried converting them to AVI with different frame rates and bitrates and they work OK on my laptop but the drop in quality compared with the original is very noticeable, not surprising seeing as they shrink from 2GB to between 150MB and 250MB after the conversion depending on the settings I choose. Can anyone advise me of a happy medium I can select, whereby I lose some quality but not as much as I have doing what I've done so far?

Is there a different file format I can choose, or different software that gives me more options? A drop from 2GB to 250MB is huge, I reckon my laptop would cope with HD files about 1GB in size, but I can't figure out how to do this as I don't really understand video file formats very well at all. Any help gratefully received. Many thanks Gary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone