Video conversion speed

Overdosal 15:27 16 Apr 2015

Good day everybody! I have a question that bothers me. Recently, I purchased a new laptop - HP 15 Notebook PC. Here are the basic technical characteristics: System Name: HP 15 Notebook PC,Processor Name: AMD A6-5200 APU (quad-core, 2GHz) with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, BIOS Name: F.32, Video card Name: AMD Radeon HD 8400 Installed Memory: 4.00 GB, Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1. Also, I still have my 4-year old laptop Samsung RV-511. It has Intel Pentium P6200 2.13 GHz (dual-core), Operating System - Windows XP SP3.

I have installed AXARA Video Converter 3.5.2 on both computers, made absolutely identical settings in the program on both computers. Still, the older dual-core was converting video THREE times faster that the new quad! What the reason it might be? Please help in finding the answer!

Jollyjohn 19:16 17 Apr 2015

W8 is resource hungry, leaving less for the video conversion. You don't mention how much RAM is installed in XP. Have a look in task manger and compare performance figures, at idle, between the two laptops.

Ian in Northampton 20:51 17 Apr 2015

Depending on how the software was designed, it may be that it was originally optimised for the way XP works. Have you installed different versions of the software - or just got the XP version to run under W8? And: although the newer processor is theoretically more powerful, if the software can't take advantage of four cores...

And, as Jj says, W8 is known to be a bit of a resource hog.

rdave13 22:27 17 Apr 2015

I'm not sure if Win 8.1 is more of a hog of resources. I certainly find it isn't compared to Win 7. That is my opinion.

As for " AXARA Video Converter" I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole as there are many better video converters around. Again if you use old software on new OSs then you expect lag in usage as the CPU isn't utilised.

Each to their own I suppose.

Overdosal 15:37 11 Jul 2015

Thanks everybody very much! Very reasonable explanations I have got.

martd7 20:28 11 Jul 2015

If you use vso "convert x to dvd",you can choose how many cores to use and the programs priority when encoding

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017