Video Computer Build

Audeal 22:34 28 May 2003

I am about to build up a new computer, for which it will be used for Video Capture and Editing only. I intend to purchase from Ebuyer.

Some advice on the parts needed would be welcome from some of you "experts" out there.

I am looking for advice on the best make for a 2.5gig (or thereabouts) processor along with the appropriate Motherboard to support it.

The best fan and the best type of ram to use. I think that 500meg should be enough. What do you think?

I have just purchased a 7200rpm, 120gig Hdd with 8meg cache, so this is the first stage in the build. The above are the most important items I need to know about right now.

I will be using windows 98se OS with this as my Matrox Marvel G200 card is not compatible with XP. This will be upgraded in time, but I will need to use it in the mean time.

Any advice given by anyone would be gratefully received. Audeal.

Agent Smith 22:37 28 May 2003

Have you read all the posts re your intended point of purchase?

LastChip 22:50 28 May 2003

I suggest you read this click here

It's well worth the effort!

Audeal 23:04 28 May 2003

Agent Smith. I have spent most of the afternoon and evening reading the posts, they do not realy help as so many of them are simmilar in what they say in each post.

LastChip. Thanks for that link. I have Bookmarked it for now as I am to busy to read it all at the moment, later I will have more time.

Mysticnas 23:31 28 May 2003

you need to get as much RAM and as big a hard drive as you can afford. if you can get another drive, another 120Gb drive that is, and use it as the scratch disk. well use one drive for windows and the other for storage.

512 is just enough, but 1Gb is better. a P4 2.4Ghz is the best buy at the moment as it give you more value, eg more bang for your buck!

if u get XP then get XP pro, deffo not home. Use ntfs file format. Use Adobe Premiere 6.5 or later for editing, this is a industry standard editing suite.

get a DVDRW drive if you can so you can burn your stuff to DVD. ok now for the motherboard. I have a Gigabyte GA8inxp1394. This has Support for P4 upto the 3Ghz and any future releases of the P4, it can run at 400FSB or 533 FSB. It also has Dual channel DDR support, this just means that the data flows faster between the CPU and RAM. That particular board has an SiS655 Chipset which is pretty good compared to the intel Granite Bay chipset. Its supports up 400 speed ram thats PC3200, get 1Gb of this if you want performance, even more if you can afford and set it up in dual channel format. the baord also has onboard firwire, allowing you to connect upto 3 firewire deivices at once, 6 USB2 ports, onboard Gigabit Eathernet, onboard sound.

if you need to know more just reply with a precise question.

Audeal 00:31 29 May 2003

Mysticnas. Many thanks for your usefully comments. I assume you are into video editing and therefore know what you are talking about. Much of what you say makes sense to me but there are some things which do not, especially these codes they use, such as FSB.

Is such a large scratch disk really necessary? I would have thought that partitioning a drive, namely the 120gig drive, giving it a partition of 10gig for installing the OS and all the programs to be used for the editing, which should be enough, and the rest, namely 110gig (in theory at least, but not necessarily in practice) would be used for storing the captured footage on. This would also be used for the scratch disk. But I can see that the more footage on the disk the less room for the scratch disk. This makes sense, but would such a large scratch disk be necessary? Would 30 or 40gig be enough as I have one available or could buy one.

Also what type of ram would you recommend? there are two types that I can see, namely DDR and DIMM, is one better than the other?

By the way, I have Windows XP Pro for my main OS ( a duel boot system ) and Win 98se for the editing. I have had much trouble getting this system to work properly as it keeps dropping to many frames. I now have Adobe Premier 7.

I can not see your board on Ebuyer so I will have to look at something else, any suggestions?

Audeal 10:42 29 May 2003

Audeal 19:04 29 May 2003

The Sack 19:09 29 May 2003

Best bit of advice i can offer is use Komplett click here or CCL click here

Ebuyer has a massive amount of bad press at the moment, i know everything has a degree of good and bad but if you are doing a full build you want to be using somewhere with as little bad press as possible.

Audeal 19:17 29 May 2003

The Sack. Thanks for those two links. I will be looking at them very carefully. My son has been using ebuyer for some time without any trouble, I guess it is just being lucky or unlucky. I purchased my 120gig drive from them and that was OK. Just lucky I guess. Thanks.

Mysticnas 20:37 29 May 2003

i've not replied earlier, i've been busy compiling a DJ maching. I'm into 3D modelling, animation, video, audio etc...

anyway...

If you're going to be capturing and editing digital video, the you are going to need a lot of space. for example, a lowish quality DV clip edited with some effects as 800x600 is around 380Mb and thats only less than a minutes worth of footage (converted to quicktime format).
My work folder for that little clip came upto about 2Gb... so you can begin to imagine the amount of space a full quality DVD video would take when editing!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?