video card upgrade

LoneDesperado 22:24 15 Apr 2007

i have a compaq presario sr2170nx with ait radeon xpress 1100 on the motherboard and am wanting to upgrade to a ati x1650 but it seems that the onboard one will get in the way of the new video card vga port. pls help

Diodorus Siculus 22:57 15 Apr 2007

I don't know the specifics of your machine but a lot of PCs will allow you to choose the graphics from which to display i.e. on board or via a card. Have a look in your BIOS as well as mobo manual.

citadel 23:09 15 Apr 2007

when you install the card in the pci express slot the motherboard graphics should be auto disabled by the bios, when you restart the pc windows new hardware wizard will start and ask for the driver, you can use the one on the disc that comes with the card.
if you have not bought a card yet there are 8600 cards out soon that are dx10 capable.

LoneDesperado 02:07 16 Apr 2007

my problem is that i dont think i can install a video card with vga ports cuz i dont know if i can remove vga port on my mobo, is there a video card with no vga port that i could get?

jam500 12:11 16 Apr 2007

When you install your new card you will not need to touch the vga port on your motherboard. The card will have its own, So all you have to do is remove the cable that is on the motherboard vga connecter and connect it to the one on the new card. So in short move the cable coming from the monitor from the mobo's vga port and connect to the one on the card.

keef66 13:49 16 Apr 2007

As jam500 says, if you install an X1650 graphics card you'll end up with 2 additional graphics ports at the back of your pc (most decent graphics cards have 2 ports)

Just take the monitor cable from it's original onboard port, and plug it into one of the new ports on the back of the graphics card. The onboard graphics should be disabled when you plug in the new card.

LoneDesperado 20:09 16 Apr 2007

ok that helps alot, thanks for all the help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?