Video card or monitor or both?

Dr. Charles(retired now) 10:32 22 Feb 2006

First thing in the morning when I boot up, I am asked to reboot by hitting alt , control , delete. I may have to do this five or six times before the computer boots up. The other thing which can happen is that a white line goes from left to right and gradually vanishes across the bottom of the screen. My monitor is PR960F 19 inch Which I bought in 2002.

It has been suggested that the monitor is taking too much current out of the video card and this is the problem, also it is suggested that the monitor has weakened the video card to cause this problem.

This only occurs first thing in the morning, I don't have another monitor to check this with so my next move could be either changing the video card or changing the monitor to a flat screen TFT monitor as an upgrade. Any further suggestions please?
Best wishes,
Charles

Totally-braindead 10:38 22 Feb 2006

When it asks you to restart does it not say why it has had the problem.
Personally what I would do is reinstall both the monitor and video card drivers and see what that does. The two suggestions you have been offered are to me at least total nonsense and don't make any sense, unless of course someone knows better.

Dr. Charles(retired now) 10:43 22 Feb 2006

No it doesn't give any reason at all for asking to restart. On one occasion it did say that there was a disk read error but that has since not reoccurred.

Totally-braindead 10:57 22 Feb 2006

Try reinstalling the drivers and see what that does. If it still does it try starting in safe mode in the morning and see what happens. There are a few things that can cause this one of the things I would consider would be the power supply being faulty as at bootup when you switch on everything would be starting up and therefore would require more power, easy way to check this would be disconnect any extra items you have such as scanners printers memory card readers etc and see what happens.
In the first instance I'd try reinstalling the drivers though.

keef66 11:10 22 Feb 2006

i now have one of these briefly across the bottom of the screen during boot-up. I think it happens as it loads the bios settings. This only started happening after i flashed the motherboard bios. It isn't a problem.

I doubt the monitor is causing reboots. Borrow another monitor. If the same happens, it isn't the monitor at fault.

Have a look in device manager and expand everything. Any yellow exclamation marks next to any of the hardware??

Dr. Charles(retired now) 11:28 22 Feb 2006

Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to try switching off the monitor and printer/scanner/fax at startup and see if that improves matters. I will tick this as solved for now, but if it persists then will come back
Thanks for your suggestions
Best
Charles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone