Video Card Compatibility

tommobs 20:40 03 Nov 2007

Hey i was just wondering whether the NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT video card was compatible with my computer and my motherboard, i currently have the NVIDIA GeForce 73000LE Card and my motherboard is ASUSTek Computer INC. EMERY2 2.00

Totally-braindead 22:23 03 Nov 2007

I don't think thats your motherboard. Download Belarc and it will tell you click here

Regarding whether the 8800GT will work it depends on 2 things, the 8800GT is a PCI Express card so you need a PCIE x 16 slot not an AGP one as they are not interchangeable and you need a decent power supply. If you look inside your case at the power supply there will be a label on it telling you the wattage. If its 400 watts or less it will need replaced for a more powerful one as graphics cards need more power than they can get from the socket alone.

tommobs 22:33 03 Nov 2007

I got Belarc and heres what it says
"Main Circuit Board b
Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. EMERY2 2.00
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.15 06/23/2006"
I also looked inside my case and its only 300 watts, is there anywhere you reccomend i get a new power supply from?

thanks in advance

tommobs 22:36 03 Nov 2007

also how do i find if my card slot is PCI or AGP?]

tahnks again

The F1 Help Key 22:44 03 Nov 2007

If you're installing an AGP or PCI card in your computer, the AGP slot is usually the shortest and should be brown. The PCI slots are slightly longer and are colored white. The actual size of the cards can vary as much as a few inches, though the pins on the bottom of the card should match the correct slot.
happycomputer

Totally-braindead 22:51 03 Nov 2007

I have it its a ASUS P5LP-LE

Is it a Compaq or HP perhaps?

click here if I have it right these are the specs.

And if I have it right it has a PCI Express slot.

Did you get a manual maybe?

Totally-braindead 22:55 03 Nov 2007

The F1 Help Key no you are wrong, you can't have read the thread, its not a PCI we're on about its a PCI Express which is completely different and is coloured black usually not white.
AGP slots are dark brown.

PCIE slots are longer than AGP but are black not white. The white ones are PCI slots which you will have perhaps 3 of maybe 4 and they are no use for graphics.

You will definatly need a new power supply as well as a PCI Express graphics card but I would to be safe confirm that this is definatly your motherboard.

Totally-braindead 22:57 03 Nov 2007

Assumming I have got the right board and you do have a PCI Express slot heres a graphics card click here and a power supply click here just as examples.

tommobs 23:05 03 Nov 2007

okay mate thanks alot, yeah its a hp, erm yeah the examples look okay to me, thanks again mate

Totally-braindead 23:29 04 Nov 2007

Do please confirm by actually looking that the computer has a PCI E slot.
If you look at the graphics card inside your PC and its dark brown its AGP if its black its PCI E.
If you are still unsure do a google search for an image of the 2 different slots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?