Video Capture Card

Alkemist 13:11 04 Jul 2005

Hia Folks

I'm thinking of buying a video capture card (VHS to DVD etc...) and was wondering what people would recommend? I can't find any good reviews on these cards and don't want to waste my money. Are there any good websites that review these bits of kit?

Thanks...Nige

pj123 14:29 04 Jul 2005

Well there is this one: click here

I don't use a capture CARD myself I have the Dazzle Fusion USB (scroll down the page a bit).

It comes with Pinnacle Studio 8 capture software.

€dstowe 15:39 04 Jul 2005

I've have a fair amount of success with click here

It comes with WinDVD Creator 2

It is a USB 2 box between your VCR and computer.

Alkemist 16:58 04 Jul 2005

Thank you for the help, I didn't realise there was so much choice.

What about the software, what is best to go for if I'm after correcting / improving old films and home moves?

Cheers...Nige

pj123 18:27 04 Jul 2005

Generally any software that comes with a Capture Card/Unit will allow you to edit. I am not sure about "improve" though. As with all photo's/movies if it is out of focus then there is nothing you can do. The Pinnacle software that I got with my Dazzle Fusion unit appears to have a sound sync problem. I now use Sonic MyDVD which doesn't appear to have that problem. Can be downloaded from (not free): click here

I would suggest that whatever capture card/unit you go for that you use the software that comes with it, at least in the first instance. If you then have a problem with it post here again.

wobblymike 18:57 04 Jul 2005

Hi
I use and recommend Fly TV Platinum video capture card, they are available on e bay, I paid about £20 for it. The software that comes with it is ok but basic, I purchased Video Impression 2 on line to use with it which is terrific and I have captured numerous VHS tapes and burnt them to both Video CD and DVD. A word of caution - when capturing the video is captured in avi form which is very memory hungry so you need lots of hard drive space. Once captured you can burn straight to Video CD or DVD and burning software like Nero will take care of the conversion process, alternatively you might wish to save the files captured as well as burn, if so it might be a good idea to convert them to MPEG 1 format for storage before burning. I use AVI to VCD to do this which means that once converted I can save them in MPEG 1 format and delete the original avi thus freeing up loads of hard drive space. The resultant burn using MPEG 1 is very quick if going to VCD and no slower than previous if going to DVD. Hope this helps if you want more info post back.

€dstowe 19:21 04 Jul 2005

The one I suggested comes with WinDVD Creator which is easy to use and quick.

Avoid Pinnacle unless you want to be bogged down in complexity and are prepared to wait a very long time to complete anything.

Alkemist 13:04 05 Jul 2005

Thanks again everyone...

There's loads to think about here, I think I'll do a bit more internet digging (above in mind) and come back if there's anything else.

A quick question on formats...If I'm to create a DVD what file format do DVD players use?

I'm buying a machine from Mesh and they supply a Cyberlink package that seems to have good reviews, what do yall think?

Cheers...Nige

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone