Video camcorder and CD

carper 10:05 24 Jul 2004

I am thinking of buying a digital camcorder whose specification says that it can download into a computer and after writing CDs, these can be played in a CD compatible DVD player. Anybody with experience and if it works how long will a disc play(I know I should be able to calculate this Thanks in advance

jonnytub 10:28 24 Jul 2004

cd's are not the medium you want to put your movies on. dvd's are a better option and approx 1 minute of digital video will occupy about 180 mb on your hd whilst recording on the best setting. as for how long the disk will be i can get about 1 and a half hours on dvd after a little tinkering and editing.

jonnytub 10:30 24 Jul 2004

If you insist on cd's then yes you can create a Video CD that will play on a compatible player, as for the length i think would be a little less and at a much lower resolution than originally recorded.

The BB 11:07 24 Jul 2004

I went to Jessops and got a Canon DV 600 for under £300 and then bought the firewire card and Pinnacle Studio (and got a few quid off for getting them together)
Some cameras only output to the computer over firewire, which, if cutting to disk is fine. Others can take a feed back from the computer to the camera so you can use the camera playback to show your movies on the TV. This ups the price of the camera and means you have to leave it plumbed in to the TV for playback and use a DV tape (no jumping to that interesting bit and wearing out the camera drive mechanism) - not ideal.
Assuming you go for the cut to disk option, (as I did) then you need the firewire connection + editing + burning software.
Check your DVD player for what it supports VCD is OK, but DVD quality is better (DVD writers only £65 now), but check the type of DVD (+/-R etc.) your player uses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?