ViaVoice icon - embedded in Control Panel

pcbobby 12:04 23 Jul 2005

I uninstalled IBM ViaVoice (voice recognition) software. I used the Add/Remove facility, also the registry editor for stray items.
However, I cannot get rid of the icon, ‘IBM Viavoice Options’, which appears to be embedded in the Control Panel.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Klof Ron 13:44 23 Jul 2005

Do a search for *.cpl and delete the offending apley.

Klof Ron 13:44 23 Jul 2005

sorry should be applet not apley

pcbobby 14:11 23 Jul 2005

Thank you Klof Ron.
I shall do as you suggest and report back to you.

pcbobby 14:43 23 Jul 2005

Hello Klof Ron.

Using the Registry Editor,I found *.cpl.and deleted- rebooted, the icon is still in the CP. I repeated the process - it still remaims.
(I also did a search for *.cpl,using the FIND files etc, but could not see it.

pcbobby 14:30 25 Jul 2005

Still no joy - the IBM icon is still displayed in the Control Panel

Eastender 00:01 26 Jul 2005
  pcbobby 14:04 26 Jul 2005

Thank you Eastender for your suggestion.
My apologies, I should have said that my OS is Windows 98SE and not XP. Nevertheless, I did try - but no joy.

woodchip 14:08 26 Jul 2005

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box ViaVoice click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with ViaVoice in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type ViaVoice and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than ViaVoice then reboot your computer.

If the ICON say's IBM ViaVoice then put this in instead of the above

pcbobby 16:20 26 Jul 2005

Woodscrew. I deleted quite a lot of stuff as per your instructions.
Icon was still in Control Panel.
I went back into the registry editor and typed in IBM. A few more items came up as IBM ViaVoice, I deleted and rebooted. Icon still there.
I returned reg editor and typed IBM. Quite a number of items appeared:ie IBM 367 and lower case, ibmx.com.
Also IBM4MIR.
IBM machine type
IBM flash disc
I did not touch these as I have no idea what they mean.

woodchip 16:43 26 Jul 2005

This will shift it, Download Tweak UI v1.33 from
click here
unzip to folder that you know where it is. I think there are four files. Right click on the .INF file and from the lisy choose install. You will find the Program in Control Panel. In the Control Panel tab just remove ViaVoice. It does a lot of other things in Win98se. For XP the Program is a bit Different it's called Power Toys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?