VHS/DVD Combi Recorders and Blue Ray

buckland 17:46 20 Feb 2008

I have a Digital, HD Ready TV and am on the point of buying a VHS/DVD Combi Recorder/Player for easy transfer of a large number of Family VHS Tapes to DVD. Hoping for as good a quality reproduction as possible as some tapes are copies of 50 year-old 8mm and 16mm Film made via Film Projectors, Mirrors and Video-C Movie Camera. A Panasonic Combi DMR-EZ47VEB or a DMR-EX95VEB are in the spot-light!
As I am no Tecchy would those in the know proceed now or wait longer for the arrival of an acceptable Blue Ray DVD/VHS Combi Recorder/Player to use the 25Gb disc capacity. Will it be possible to transfer regular DVDs (4.7Gb) to a Blue Ray Disc again for the greater capacity.Could it be done somehow via the use of an intermediary Hard Drive? If so then it may be preferable to copy initially to regular DVDs otherwise members of the family without Blue Ray Players would be unable to play my Blue Ray Discs. Frankly I am confused what with Toshiba's HD DVD being banished and me having an HD Ready TV and also still with ancient VHS Tapes. At the age of 80 I would prefer not to wait too long to accomplish my dubbing and shall happily forego the NHK Super Hi-Vision 7680 X 4320 I have heard about. My editing demands are minimal and hopefully could be done on my Windows XP Movie Maker installed in my PC but this again means a regular DVD and not a Blue Ray Disc. Or what about a DVD RAM disc could this be a consideration? Words of advice and encouragement would be welcome with thanks. Regards, Buckingham.

eedcam 18:45 20 Feb 2008

Do you really think you are going to see a difference with vhs and old cine film if you put it om a blueray disc I doubt it .Transferring to dvd will not improve the quality preserve it perhaps I would go ahead and just go for the present dvd. Now you cannot edit dvd material on windows movie maker so you need a rethink there least not on xp .Most of the editors now will handle Mpeg which is dvd and will only recode what is needed (ie only the parts that have been edited ). All of this will take considerable time so. Make sure your pc is up to it Spec wise and get cracking in your own words ' I dont want to wait too long'
Of course my own personal view others may well differ
Cheers

MCE2K5 22:09 20 Feb 2008

I'm with eedcam.

Jak_1 22:12 20 Feb 2008

Actually it does enhabce the quality by transfering VHS to DVD. I have quite a few done with oe of those machines and the quality improvement is noticable. However I don't think using Blueray will improve it any more than standard DVD.

eedcam 22:25 20 Feb 2008

I would'nt argue Jak it could be be different brighter more colour whatever whether that constitutes better is in the eye of the viewer. If you think its better fine

buckland 18:53 16 Mar 2008

Many thanks to all. I shall forget Blue Ray and will proceed with a Panasonic VHS/DVD Combo Recorder. Now have just been told they are bringing out a DMR 98X to improve on their DMR EX 95V. So what's with the new and what was wrong with the old? Buckland.

eedcam 23:16 16 Mar 2008

Good grief do you think they need a reason to bring out a new model. Admittedly there may be changes but doubt whether those changes were because there was something wrong with the old .

MCE2K5 23:37 16 Mar 2008

DMR EX 95V Available Now

DMR 98X Available, Sometime in the Future (Could not find any info on it at all).
=====================================================
Hi John.

eedcam 07:29 17 Mar 2008

Hi David nor could I

FatboySlim71 09:37 17 Mar 2008

I have a Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder, I have transfered a number of old VHS videos to my DVD/HDD recorder via my Panasonic video recorder.

I will add that I could see some
improvement in picture quality from the video tape.

I do not think it will be worth waiting till "arrival of an acceptable Blue Ray DVD/VHS Combi Recorder/Player" as you will get no where near the possible resolution that BLU RAY will provide as the material you would be transferring would be a low resolution.

I didn't know if the below link would be of interest to you buckland.

click here

buckland 12:05 17 Mar 2008

Thanks again everyone and for Fatboyslim71's attachment. I shall go for the Panasonic DMR-EX95V Combo which should drop in price in view of the forth-coming DMR 98. By the way MCE2K5 the newly referred to DMR 98 can be tracked by putting "Panasonic DMR-EX98V" into "Google" where a number of Websites refer with CNET.co.uk providing an image of it. Buckland.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?