VHS vids to DVD problems

immer 18:41 05 Dec 2008

I got a lead to connect my vhs to the PC to convert my things, but find the spec on my pc is not good enough. please could you advise a suitable mother board & graphics card and anything else I havn't thought of to build myself a suitable machine. Is there a reasonable base unit that might do...which is the cheapest way to go please?

eedcam 18:50 05 Dec 2008

Probably cheaper to get a dvd recorder then all you need to do is put the dvd in the pc .OK you will ned software to edit but you ned that any way and depending how basic you want to edit ie perhaps just cut or join parts there is free stuff around

immer 18:58 05 Dec 2008

I have a DVD recorder in my PC, Pinnicle software etc but my 1.9gig athlon & .5 gig ram is not enough it seems...I supposd I could do it but even though I have a webcam (camaestro)I dont seem to be able to get it all to work.

immer 18:58 05 Dec 2008

I have a DVD recorder in my PC, Pinnicle software etc but my 1.9gig athlon & .5 gig ram is not enough it seems...I supposd I could do it but even though I have a webcam (camaestro)I dont seem to be able to get it all to work.

eedcam 19:18 05 Dec 2008

No You need a standalone dvd recorder admittedly video is power hungry and you are short in Ram and I guess you have on board graphics which also pinches some of your ram but ram is cheap enough to buy Hard drive space and defragged is also a must.If you do go for a new pc then at least 1 if not 2 G/byte.Two hard drives and a sperate graphics card with its own memoryI would try what you have first if you have a none copywrite dvd put that in and just try and work with one of the files which will be a max of 1G/byte

lofty29 19:22 05 Dec 2008

Your spec should be able to do the job, at most all you need is another 516mb of ram, you will need plenty of hdd space and a lot of time, it is more likely to be the capture device and software that you are using, are you running vista or xp, as there are problems with the vista patch on pinnacle. When you say you have a dvd recorder in you pc do you mean a capture card or a usb device. My pc spec is very similar to yours quite old, and have been doing that process for some time with no problems.

woodchip 19:37 05 Dec 2008

You can get a VHS plus DVD combi Recorder in the region of about £100 From Makro

immer 20:29 05 Dec 2008

my motherboard has a bottle neck & uses virtul Ram ... thats my problem I think.
The Macro thing sounds like the cheapest way round but the Ram problem is going to seem more and more as time goes by so Im wondering if they might get a lot more expensive with the weak pound, once the crash stabilizes.

woodchip 23:39 05 Dec 2008

Its a built in graphics chip, you need to buy a Graphics card with dedicated ram, to fit the slot on your motherboard

Roadgiant 08:46 06 Dec 2008

If you already have a VHS VCR then you would probably be better off buying a stand alone DVD recorder and connecting the two together with a scart lead.
You can buy a DVD recorder for around £55 or even a DVD with hard drive for around £90.
What I do is copy tape to hard drive of DVD recorder, then if needed edit/delete bits as required and then back up to DVD.

immer 09:21 08 Dec 2008

Thanks for your advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone