VHS transfer to DVD thru PC

rawprawn 16:34 04 Nov 2009

I have my daughter's and son's weddings recorded on VHS tape together with some old holiday tapes.
I want to transfer the VHS tapes to DVDs using my laptop
(Win 7 Home Premium)
Will this gadget do the job easily,
click here

if not what would you suggest.
Thanks
RP

woodchip 16:41 04 Nov 2009

Should do I use one but it was £30 from Aldi a Tevion

retep888 16:44 04 Nov 2009

I never used this gadget so can't give any comments.

I however used an old VHS player,a scart cable to link up to a DVD player/recorder with a built-in hard drive to convert all my VHS tapes.

Using the VHS as source and record onto the hard drive and edited using the recorder's(Sony)own software afterwrads,it's a doodle.

rawprawn 16:54 04 Nov 2009

Thanks woodie, unless anyone else comes up with something different I will give it a try.

rawprawn 16:54 04 Nov 2009

Thanks for the reply, but I don't have a DVD Recorder

southhead 17:27 04 Nov 2009

I have used a similar device click here to do what you want, which gives me good results.
Remember, you will also need a lead to connect your VCR to the gadget. A SCART to phono like this one is fine. click here Although I didn’t pay as much for mine as this one. I also had to do a bit of experimenting with different settings to get the best out of my capture device.

rawprawn 17:36 04 Nov 2009

Thanks, but why do I need a scart to connect. I have connections at the front of my video that would seem to match the "Four connectors at the end of the USB" on my link.
Sorry to be pedantic but I know nothing of this.

woodchip 18:01 04 Nov 2009

Your choice is adequate for what you want to do

rawprawn 18:10 04 Nov 2009

Thank you, I will go with that.
RP

southhead 19:16 04 Nov 2009

Sorry if I’ve caused confusion, but you may find the connections on the front of your VCR are the same gender as the ones on the gadget so you will need an adapter lead. The SCART lead is just another option. Anyway, I’m sure the gadget you intend to get will suit you fine, and you can always sort extra leads if it’s necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?