Vhs tape trapped in VCR

earear 17:13 06 Feb 2006

calling all troglodytes - how do i release a trapped tape? The vcr was unplugged prior to removal to "storage" but it was unoticed that a tape was already inserted - now despite connecting the Aiwa vcr to the mains power supply again the eject button refuses to do its job. The machine was moved initially to a colder room and is now bach to its normal site so I do not think condensation is the problem ?? Advanced thanks to whoever!

SANTOS7 17:24 06 Feb 2006

Have you tried playing the tape, try FF/RW, then try the eject button..

howard63 17:27 06 Feb 2006

Last time this happened to me I took the unit apart and got the tape out not wanting or expecting the unit to ever work again.

Skills 17:34 06 Feb 2006

Same here take the lid off and manually remove the tape put back together and hope it works. Mine have after manual removal

dunderheid 17:53 06 Feb 2006

From ome Troglodyte to another. Try here:

click here

anchor 12:52 07 Feb 2006

howard63 & Skills are right. This happened to me; I removed the casing, and carefully extracted the tape. All OK, after that.

Graham ® 13:40 07 Feb 2006

Could be the drive belt is stretched. No alternative to taking the cover off to find out what is happening inside.

Diemmess 13:49 07 Feb 2006

If the worst has happened (tape firmly wrapped round a spindle) then you are going to have to explore inside.

If a wrap-around has occured you are going to have to cut the tape anyway and just tease away the ruined tape from the machine.

Please do try and keep any steel tool away from any part of the recording/playback bits, anything magnetic will ruin things still further!

Stuartli 13:51 07 Feb 2006

But first ensure that the machine is unplugged from the mains...:-)

It's always been a common repair task for my best mate, who runs an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet.

johnnyrocker 13:54 07 Feb 2006

does any function on it work? do you have clock display, if the tape is laced up you will need to manually unlace it or you might snap it if you just try to pull it, if there are no functions or clock the likely cause is a start up capacitor in the power supply unit.

johnny.

southpaw 13:56 07 Feb 2006

Tape jamming is something I've encountered and I usually unplug then open up the machine.
Stay away from the electrics though.

On a different matter anyone know of a good cheap retailer able to save a damaged tape and put onto DVD.

I've done a google search and seems £25 is cheapest I've seen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?