VHS to DVD

baldyx 15:29 21 May 2007

How do I connect video recorder to pc so that I can create DVDs from VHS videos?
Any help please.

skidzy 15:56 21 May 2007
  tullie 16:03 21 May 2007

I use GrabeeX

tullie 16:05 21 May 2007

Sorry,hit wrong button.
I use GrabeeX Deluxe,connects to video recorder and pc by way of usb,think i only paid 20 odd pounds for it.

Totally-braindead 16:31 21 May 2007

Easiest way to do it is to buy a cheap standalone DVD recorder, the kind that links to your TV, and connect that to a video player by the SCART and then you just press play on the video and record on the recorder.

pj123 18:00 21 May 2007

VHS to DVD via your PC is time consuming.

You need an analogue capture card and a capture program. I tried it using Pinncacle Fusion USB capture device and Pinnacle Studio 9. It takes at least 7 hours to transfer a 3 hour VHS tape to DVD.

The best way is as Totally-braindead says. I now have a Liteon DVD recorder and it works in real time. ie. a 3 hour VHS tape takes 3 hours direct to DVD.

baldyx 16:28 22 May 2007

Thanks all.

If I record on to Liteon DVD recorder (which I have) will I then be able to edit that dvd on my pc ? This is to extract just the video I want .

baldyx 16:29 22 May 2007

One more query : is the quality better by copying directly on to Liteon DVD recorder than to pc ?

tullie 16:32 22 May 2007

The GrabeeX takes 3 hrs for a three hour movie

Totally-braindead 17:46 22 May 2007

Not a clue about either question I am afraid, my Liteon recorder has built in editing its very basic I believe and I've never used it.

If you're going to edit a video on a PC you need a fast machine with a lot of memory and a huge amount of disk space. Thats about all I know about it.

eedcam 17:59 22 May 2007

Once you have it on dvd you can edit it on the pc but alas you will need software to do it.Most of the editing software Adobe Ulead etc.,is available on trial.Though DVD shrink a freeboe will do some basic removal.As for quality the going to dvd recorder will not be much different than going to pc the.Any loss in quality after you edit will be in how you get the footage back onto dvd. However as said if you go to pc and its saved as avi you are talking massive files size 13GB per hourDvD route in my opinion the best bet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?