vhs to dvd

musiclady 14:29 06 Sep 2004

how and which program is best to use for converting my vhs videos to dvd

TomJerry 14:41 06 Sep 2004

The best and quickest way is to use a domestic Recordable DVD player (VHS replacement of dvd age, a very good one LiteOn LVW-5005 dual format DVD Recorder £179.99 click here) One hour video take one hour to convert.

If you want to use computer, you have to do the hardway, you need over 3 hours for one hour video including Capture, Edting, Encording and burning. You need to have a TV/Video capture card (costs at least £50) to convert Analogue VHS video into digital video format, then edting and encording etc. As for program, Ulead Videostudio 8 (costs around £40) is a very good low cost start package, if you need something better you can get Adobe Primer which costs over £500.

Sans le Sou 14:43 06 Sep 2004

You will need an analogue capture device as well as some video editing software and of course a DVD burner. Nero 6 has some software if you have it, otherwise there is Ulead Video Studio and many others. You could try a Google, but I am sure other members will recommend some more.

stylehurst 14:43 06 Sep 2004

You mention best program. Is it correct to assume you already have a capture card i.e. a device either internal card or USB device which will translate your analogue VHS tapes into digital format.
If you do not have a capture device I would recommend Adaptec AVC 2210 (USB device) this comes with Sonic MyDVD & ArcSoft ShowBiz.
I would recommend both these programs, another alternative would be Nero 6 if you already have the Capture device

cga 15:00 06 Sep 2004

I agree entirely with your answer. The only real benefit of using the computer to do this is the inclusion of effects that are beyond a domestic DVD recorder. In this case I agree that Ulead Visual studio will give good access to these effects for the price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?