VHD file - computer image - can't read/open

wildhouse 17:30 11 Jan 2010

I did a Windows image Back-up on my daughter's laptop in case of hard drive failure. I can't now remember what program I used to do it but she spilt water on her laptop and wrecked the computer. She now has a new laptop and we don't need most of what is in the saved image, however, it includes all her downloaded music and all her photos. On my desktop running Windows XP I am able to read the clone/image I created like a normal computer and can pick out folders (eg My Music). On the image for the laptop this is not possible. She had Windows Vista. Does anyone know how I can read this image to copy the music and image files on it? (Initially there is a folder called: Backup 2009-09-13 140021 plus one that says Catalog and a file called MediaId; within the back-up are 7 XML documents and a VHD file)

FreeCell 18:04 11 Jan 2010

I believe VHD is Virtual Hard Disk. Not tryed it but look at this link and try VHDMount to see if you can read the files you want.

click here

wildhouse 21:42 11 Jan 2010

Thanks. Have had a look at this but to be honest it doesn't mean much to me! I can't see a way of just getting some information off my VHD file. Also, the desktop I am using to read my external drive(with the VHD file) is Windows XP, and the VHD file is Vista - don't know if this complicates things?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017