VGA PC to hdtv 1080p HDMI

girbabe 20:55 25 Apr 2010

I have a HP compaq 6715b laptop with an integrated radeon x1250 grapics card and VGA and 7 pin S-Video output. My TV is a Panasonic TC-37LZ85 with a native resolution of 1920x1080 which my graphics card seems to support as one of the so-called "hidden" options as well as a 2nd monitor. My TV has 3 HDMI connections. I can also choose different formats of 480, 720 and 1080.

Basically, all I want to do is use my TV as a monitor as a replacement for cable, getting the best picture with the easiest/cheapest connection possible - whatever that turns out to be. My frustration is that I get different conflicting advice about 720p vs 1080p or whether I need to buy a scaler as well as a converter. I was also told that my TV will automatically up or down convert as necessary depending on the signal. Is that correct? I have seen a basic VGA to HDMI cable for as little as $9.00 and was hoping that was all I needed since I have the options to change resolution and format.

So - do I need an actual converter or a converter/scaler? Will this even work correctly?? I would like to make a decision and stop waffling about this. Thank you!!

girbabe 21:13 25 Apr 2010

I guess I should also clarify about the 720/1080 issue. I was told that every time a TV has to up/down convert a signal, it loses picture quality so it's best to get a converter with the same resolution capability. There is a HUGE cost different between the 720p converters vs the 1080p capable ones. I also heard there is little noticeable difference when actually watching a 720 or 1080 picture on a 37" or smaller TV, so a converter capable of 720p is supposed to suffice (and is much cheaper). Again - true or false?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?