vga and dvi-d? whats the difference

ding dong dave 17:32 24 Mar 2007

hi all, nice easy one here.
just brought a nice 19" tft, at the moment i have it connected via VGA, could someone tell me what the difference is between VGA and DVI-D please.
thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:12 24 Mar 2007

I use both on my monitor and cannot tell the difference.

G

ding dong dave 18:18 24 Mar 2007

thanks so far.
what would i be better off using, i use my pc for mostly gaming.

i have a 21" inch monitore, pc used mainly for gaming, i bought the dvd i connections, and agree with gandalf, you really cant tell any difference

ding dong dave 18:46 24 Mar 2007

thanks all

Z1100 18:53 24 Mar 2007

If you work all day with images (photograph restoration) of 4000 dpi @ 1280 x 1024 and zoomed in to 200 or 300% you might want to use the DVI-I like I do, your eyes will tell you that it makes for an easier days work.

The DVI interface uses a digital protocol to illumination pixels. It will read each pixel data send from your card and apply that brightness to the appropriate pixel on screen. And since the TFT's are a bit naff in comparison to the CRT's this becomes very important for my kind of work.

In this way, each pixel (picture element) data that is sent to the monitor corresponds directly to one pixel on the monitor and brightness is applied.

If you have a 700:1 ratio, (that means the difference in ratio of the darkest to the brightest pixel is 700x. There are higher ratios, ergo, higher cost), whereas with an analog signal the appearance of each pixel may be affected by its adjacent pixels as well as by electrical noise and other forms of analog distortion.

So, fast moving 25fps games have no noticeable difference but my static image benefits me because I need to see fine detail and good contrast.

I'll shup up now... ;)

Hanx!
K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?