VGA driver refusing to install

jerica 11:14 01 Dec 2013

Hi, got an old dell laptop that seems to have uninstalled its VGA driver and is refusing to re-install it. Screen is just about readable and it keeps asking me if I want to install the driver but then says it can't. Help please, thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:44 01 Dec 2013

model number?

windows version?

if the driver is corrupt you will need to download and install latest version.

jerica 14:16 01 Dec 2013

dxdiag says it's XP pro, Manufacturer Dell, System model Latitude D620

lotvic 14:29 01 Dec 2013

Here's all your Drivers from Dell support site click here

and if you click on the link for 'Additional Product Support' it gives a link to the Manual.

jerica 14:49 01 Dec 2013

Just tried installing drivers from Dell but no luck. Everywhere the cursor goes I get a short purple line which will fade away in time. Wondering if the screen might be on the way out.

Jollyjohn 15:22 01 Dec 2013

Do you have a monitor that you could hook up to the laptop?

If OK display then it is the screen. If poor display then Graphics chip is suspect.

jerica 16:02 01 Dec 2013

Bum, now what is happening is the start screen with Dell on it then a black screen with a small blinking bar top left. Tried booting from F12 and I can get to diagnostics and it says everything is working well, but when I try to reboot it's back to the blinking line again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 01 Dec 2013

Shut it down

restart and keep tapping F8 until you get the menu then see if you an boot into safemode.

jerica 17:32 01 Dec 2013

No go, refuses to respond to f8, will respond to f12 or f2 but that,s all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 01 Dec 2013

Do you have an Xp CD?

woodchip 18:32 01 Dec 2013

Right click "My Computer" Properties/Hardware/Device Manager right click on Display adapter and choose update drivers tick box so windows can serf the net and MS drivers for a update

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?