very very slow startup

skaria 22:16 29 Oct 2004

any help???
my startup on my windows xp 2.56mhz compuetr has become slower and slower
i do not have many programs in my startup except norton intrernet securoity 2004, and it now takes about 30 - 40 seconds for me to login
i am not using too much of the hard drive space
and have barely 8 icons on the desktop
any help????
thanks in advance

VoG II 22:21 29 Oct 2004

Have you defragmented recently? Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter or click here

skaria 22:27 29 Oct 2004

thanks for the quick reply
yes, i try to defragment about once a week

VoG II 22:29 29 Oct 2004

You could try BootVis click here

skaria 22:46 29 Oct 2004

i tried bootvis, it just tells me what the times are, but wont tell me how to improve it
any other ideas
thanks

NickyK 00:05 30 Oct 2004

I had a similar problem recently and my ISP Phone Help-line told me how to fix it (too complex for on-line chat). Sadly, I didn't take notes at the time. (It was quite involved, and had something to do with closing background files, if I remember correctly).

It might be worth giving your ISP people a call. Sure, some of the ISP helpers will say it is not a server problem or concern, but most of the technicals seem happy enough to help - after all, they don't want to lose your account.

In a case such as this, experience has taught me that phoning is better than on-line help. Just ensure it is a freephone number.

Dan the Confused 00:22 30 Oct 2004

Checked for spyware?

Ad-aware click here

Spybot S&D click here

Clearing out junk files may also help, try CleanUp! click here

Cleaning your registry can help too, RegScrubXP click here

hugh-265156 00:24 30 Oct 2004

open bootvis and click 'trace/next boot and driver delays' then restart. after a min or two this will show you, as above a graph of all the processes and drivers loaded as windows starts up and the time each one takes.

next click 'trace/optomize system' and restart the computer again. your done when the info box on your desktop disappears. restart again and it should now be faster.

skaria 13:17 30 Oct 2004

im afraid that bootvis did not work, if anything made the startup a few seconds slower!!! as to adware and spyware, i use them on a daily basis
thanks for the help though
any other solutions

Dorsai 14:35 30 Oct 2004

i could not even get bootvis to download. It wanted me to change my security setting, before it would allow me to download it. As my security settings have not prevented anything else i tried to get from being downloaded, i did not bother with it. I will put up with my extended boot time. Why whould it need me to make changes no other site does? I dunno. I dont intend to find out either. If they make it that hard to get, i can do without.

skaria 16:21 30 Oct 2004

my nis2004 also did not allow it, but i disabled it
i have found that it allows me to download most things, but does prevent some things from being dowmloaded
thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017