VERY tight USB ports

NotVeryTechie 12:58 19 Mar 2008

Hi there

I finally received my new Toshiba laptop (yippee!) and I was testing all the bits last night. The USB ports are extremely tight. I have to almost force the pen drive in and pull VERY hard to get it out. Will this damage the ports/usb devises??

Also, is there anything that can be done about this?? I don't think Toshiba will change this as they are working and therefore don't qualify to be fixed under the warranty.

Hope you can help!!

uesquebeathus 13:12 19 Mar 2008

you could have been trying to put the plug in upside down, they are normally a simple push in, have a close look at the socket the top should have a slim plastic lug and a very narrow space, below the lug should be a space about a millimeter wide.
see this:-click here

The reverse is in the plug you should see a plastic lug which should be fitted under the Socket lug.
see
this :-click here

Please be aware that there is another type of socket called "Firewire" which in simple terms is flat at one end and pointed or apex at the other "DO NOT" try to fit USB connections in them.

the howstuffworks.com web site can give you a few helpfull guides

Stuartli 13:18 19 Mar 2008

Agree with uesquebeathus - it's very easy to try and insert USB leads the wrong way up, especially if you are reaching around the back of a system case.

Technotiger 13:23 19 Mar 2008

Ummm - Laptop, even ... LoL

Stuartli 13:35 19 Mar 2008

I know it's a laptop in this instance - merely citing a typical example of how you can get it wrong...:-)

NotVeryTechie 14:42 19 Mar 2008

I did manage to get the usb key plugged in and it was in the correct slot and the right way up and it worked perfectly once plugged in. The question was about the fact that the fit is very tight and I am worried that my usb keys (which are not the strongest brands around) will be damaged in the process, or that the usb ports could be damaged.

Any thoughts?

Simsy 15:24 19 Mar 2008

I've just got a Toshiba laptop, yestreday. I confirm that on mine the USB sockets are tighter than normal, but I'd describe them as "comfortably tight" rather than woryingly so.

Regards,

Simsy

€dstowe 15:46 19 Mar 2008

I think you'll find they will "relax" after they've been used a few times.

NotVeryTechie 15:51 19 Mar 2008

Thanks a mil Edstowe - that is what I was hoping for! As long as my (not very robust) pen drives don't get destroyed in the meantime.

€dstowe 18:42 19 Mar 2008

Get a USB cable and spend a few minutes plugging/unplugging it to loosen the connection - don't overdo it though!

Bald Eagle 18:51 19 Mar 2008

You are right to worry I have a Toshibe laptop and the 2 rear USB connectors, one above the other, are both broken through normal use.
BE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?