Very slow, unresponsive pc, why all of a sudden?

SB23 19:21 08 Apr 2008

The last few days with my pc has been a nightmare.

Everyday seems to get worse. Its sluggish, doesn't do things after you've clicked on them, it takes 2 or 3 attempts to switch it off,the list goes on.

The one thing that brought my attention to this, was the length of time it takes to come on. Last week, once the power button was pressed, and I had logged in, I could be online within minutes, and that was including the boot time. Now it takes 3 -4 minutes to get to the welcome screen, it then takes 4-5 minutes to load my settings.

The only thing that I've done over the last week or so was reinstall ZA, and as I've used it before, and the problem came to light with the other firewall, I can't see that as the problem.

I've Ccleaned, defraged, run Avast, all to no avail.
I even checked what was starting up, but I can't see any problems there either.

The last time this happened, I ended up reformatting, as that was the only answer I could see.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to why this would happen so quickly?
Thanks

Steve

RobCharles1981 19:24 08 Apr 2008

Hi Steve have you done any Spyware Checks???

[email protected] 19:30 08 Apr 2008

Steve,
check dma status for you hard drive in case gone to pio mode
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:39 08 Apr 2008

Bad memory or HDD nearly full are other causes.

SB23 20:15 08 Apr 2008

My wife has just called me, now I am unable to print, as its telling me to install the software for the printer that was working yesterday!

As for the DMA mode, all seems fine apart from where it says current transfer mode on device 1, it says not available, but device 0 seems ok.

Spyware checks all come out clean, and I'm only using 17Gb on a 80Gb drive.

SB23 16:51 09 Apr 2008

I sorted the printer last night, but Aol is very slow now, and I'm just wondering if it is Aol thats causing the slow down, I mean it wouldn't be the 1st time I've had to reset the Aol software.

jimv7 17:18 09 Apr 2008

Do you have spyware terminator installed, if so uninstall it, as one of its components razzer.dll (might be spelt wrong) can cause the same symptoms you are describing.

SB23 17:26 09 Apr 2008

I used to use it, but haven't had it on my system for months, went back to Defender.

Other than Aol, I can't think of anything else that I've done that would cause this serious slow down.

Its that bad today, my wife has told me that until I sort it out she's not going to touch the pc. Personally, I think the pc is having a laugh, lol!

birdface 17:55 09 Apr 2008

Try uninstalling Zone Alarm.Run C Cleaner.Switch Windows Firewall on and see if that makes any difference.Mind and run C Cleaner.

birdface 18:13 09 Apr 2008

If nothing else works do a system restore to a date before you had the problems.

Diemmess 18:14 09 Apr 2008

Aol or any other big name ISP will not affect speed at bootup unless it is programmed to open at startup.

You have checked via "msconfig" to see what processes are loading at startup?

The problem appeared with "the other firewall"

If you have re-installed Zone Alarm did you remove the other firewall first?

No duplication of AV programmes either, I hope.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?