Very slow scrolling of some pages in Firefox

adam32 15:16 17 Feb 2011

A minority of web pages cause scrolling in Firefox to slow to a crawl. Touchpad and arrow key control is very slow indeed; scrollbar dragging is slightly better but still much worse than that would normally be.

It does not happen in any other browser.

Most of the problem pages are fairly long with quite large HTML files, but not always: so there is no clear causal link between them.

One problem site has a fixed background (which can cause this sort of problem for me, to a lesser extent), but hiding it with an entry in userContent.css hasn't improved things at all.

Any ideas?

adam32 16:32 19 Feb 2011

Anyone have any suggestions/pointers?

Graphicool1 16:43 19 Feb 2011

Can you give us a link to one of those slow sites and also tell us what your system spec is please.

adam32 17:57 19 Feb 2011

Sure. perishablepress.com is a good example. It has a couple of fixed elements, fairly long pages with quite large file sizes, but not the worst that I've seen. Yet for me, it scrolls like it's in treacle.

Spec is: Pentium Mobile 1.86GHz; 2GB DDR2; dedicated graphics of some kind but no clue what it may be; and a Synaptics touch-pad. All drivers are as up to date as I can get them. But as I mentioned, other browsers (Chrome, Safari, and Opera) don't show this problem at all.

Graphicool1 19:19 19 Feb 2011

I had no problem what-so-ever.

My spec is:
WinXP Home - SP3 - 1.25GB Ram - AMD AthlonXP1800+ 1.16 GHz - Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Apart from the graphics card my spec is a lot lower than yours. So that can't be the problem.

Turn off all your add-ons in the Fox and then try it. If it's ok without them, you can then start putting them back one by one until you find the culprit.

adam32 14:56 20 Feb 2011

Safe mode has made no difference.

adam32 15:29 20 Feb 2011

I might have to try removing the old profile and reinstalling it. Thanks for that link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?