Very slow response from mouse pad click to action

wishtobwireless 16:59 13 Dec 2009

Hi
I have very slow broadband and can do nothing about this. We have three laptops in the house and my laptop 6 months old is very slow from mouse click. For example when clicking on the scroll bar it will not scroll positively it scrolls intermitently. When clicking onto a link it is still thinking about the previous click etc. I sometimes wait for ten seconds for the click to acknowledge let alone then wait for it to acheive its purpose. I had always thought that this was down to the broadband speed but today I have checked against the other two laptops and both are fine even my old one which is five years old does not react in this way at all. Please can anyone help me I have taken the laptop into PC world but cannot get this to happen there as there broadband is ultra fast, I have Avast and have closed this to see if this helps but it doesnt! I have tried through Firefox & Explorer but no difference there either. I am running on Vista... Cheers for any help as its very frustrating. Thank you

Graphicool1 18:33 13 Dec 2009

How much RAM have you got?

wishtobwireless 18:43 13 Dec 2009

2GB Intel Pentium
64kb Primary mem cache
1024 kb secondary

248 GB usable
192 HD free space

Cheers for any help

Graphicool1 12:15 14 Dec 2009

I am assuming you are using a wireless connection? If this is so, when you use your laptop how close are you to the router?

The reason I'm asking is depending on your distance from it and obstacles that may be between you and it. Such as brick walls, fridges, fridge freezers etc. Such items as these will interfere with and/or block the signal.

wishtobwireless 13:26 14 Dec 2009

3 metres and the other two laptops the same distance and no problem at all!

Graphicool1 13:53 14 Dec 2009

Has your laptop always been slow or is it a recent occurrence? If it's recent you could try a system restore to before it started running slow.

wishtobwireless 17:58 14 Dec 2009

but i had decided it was because the broadband was slow. Then my daughter got a new laptop three mnths ago and hers isn't slow at all, then after checking it against my old laptop which is five years old I now know its not the broadband but my new laptop! Thanks for trying to help

Graphicool1 10:42 15 Dec 2009

Is your laptop slow when it's not on the Internet? Because if it isn't, it may be something to do with how it connects. If you have one or can borrow one try connecting to the router via a ethernet cable. See if this makes any difference?

Although, on the face of it, it would seem unlikely if it worked fine when you took it to PCWorld. When you use your laptop at home are you using mains or battery power? Either way, let us know what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone