Very Slow PC

ivy lynn-251214 18:32 02 Dec 2003

After running a scandisk and a defrag,my PC is still running annoyingly slow.

A friend suggests a regisry wash, but I do not know how to do this, and will it help?, or is there somthing else I should do?

I run win ME and have Broadband (Blueyonder)

A_World_Maker 18:51 02 Dec 2003

Can you offer more information?

What are you doing on the computer when it runs slow? Have you run a virus checker recently? How much free space have you on your hard disc? How much system Ram have you got? Have you run Spybot or Adware?

cycoze 18:55 02 Dec 2003

Have a clean out in your Temp and Temporary Internet folders.

Throw out the clutter , any unused programs might as well be uninstalled , if you have too many desktop icons , delete as many as you can (you can still access them through`start`programs).

Have a look at the systray, most people have to much running unnecessarily , get rid of media players (quicktime,real player , winamp etc)for a start , most things if right clicked have a `preferences` , you can also have a look at your startup , dont take out anything your unsure of.

After clearing out temp folders and uninstalling etc you might have reclaimed a fair bit of space back , so it would be worth while running defrag again .

dfghjkl 20:53 02 Dec 2003

back up files and reformat and reinstall windows,check you have all drivers etc and go for a clean pc,you will then have it going as fast as it will go.

ivy lynn-251214 10:33 03 Dec 2003

Thank's all

Did the suggested, and I now have my PC working normal again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?