Very slow to open folders in Windows Explorer

Tim 09:49 04 Jan 2004

After using Windows Explorer for a short while doing file operations, I find that it starts to take a very long time to open folders. It can take over 30 seconds and sometimes up to a minute.

I notice the same problem when using My Computer to look at files.

Closing and restarting Windows Explorer does not help. Only rebooting the computer helps for a short while and then the problem comes back.

I use Windows 98SE.

Thanks,
Tim Edwards

johnnyrocker 09:57 04 Jan 2004

have you run a virus/worm check.

johnny.

Tim 11:46 04 Jan 2004

I have Sophos virus protection on my PC and it has not found anything.

Tim

johnnyrocker 11:48 04 Jan 2004

what sort of worm/spyware do you have if any?

johnny.

anon1 12:30 04 Jan 2004

do you have a lot of sub folders in the "my Documents" folder? If you do try moving some of them out to another location.

Simsy 11:02 05 Jan 2004

It could be a memory thing, with windows not releasing enougth when tasks are finished.

Give "Cacheman" a try... wclick here

I've used it for ages and one of the things it solved was exacty the symptons you describe. I'm also on 98se.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Tim 19:18 05 Jan 2004

Thanks for the various ideas so far:-
I have downloaded Cacheman and I am still getting the same problems (although I have not yet rebooted since installing it).

What do you mean by worm/spyware? I did not know that it was different from the virus protection software which I have.

I do have a fair number of sub folders in My Documents. However, as I have the same problem with any folder on the hard disk and even on folders on my second hard disk, I doubt that this will help.

Tim

wee eddie 22:08 05 Jan 2004

When I get to about 3rd/4th level files it can be almost impossible to open them.

I gave up using My Docs because of that problem is much worse.

anon1 16:31 07 Jan 2004

Trust me. remove some of the subfolders from "my documents" folder, it is a system folder and it will slow the system if it gets too many files/folders within it.

Tim 20:00 07 Jan 2004

One thing I discovered that was there was over 200,000 files on my hard disk. The vast majority of them - oover 90% were temporary internet files. I have now deleted them and will see if that helps my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?