Very slow laptop

Rizlo 15:51 05 Jul 2009

Hi

My sister has an oldish laptop that runs very slow on the Internet. She doesn't have Internet yet, but Ive been on her laptop on my connection and it's awfully slow.

Anyway, my sis is about to get broadband and she wants me to take a look at her laptop to try and speed it up as i told her she needs to update drivers. Is that true? If so what drivers do i update to speed up the PC.

Also, i told her she might need to add ram, will the laptop have a spare slot, to add more ram?

Her laptop is about 5yrs old, i think. It runs XP so it cant be that old, but it so slow. It can take 2 plus minutes to open the browser.

So, can someone advice me and give me tips to speed up her laptop?

Many thanks

jamesd1981 20:02 05 Jul 2009

hi rizlo have you defragmented the drive and stripped out all the programs you dont need or use windows update should list most of the updates u need just make sure you have all the service packs, the windows installers and .net frameworks.

woodchip 20:19 05 Jul 2009

Right Click My Computer\Properties for CPU and Ram

woodchip 20:21 05 Jul 2009

There is not much you can do to speed up a Laptop, but best way I found was a Faster Hard Drive from 4200rpm to 7200rpm

Rizlo 21:54 05 Jul 2009

You don't understand how slow the laptop is. Surely no machine can be as slow. It can take five minutes to load a page, and it's only been online for an hour tops, so it cant be viruses.

Spark6 11:59 06 Jul 2009

Why don't you do what woodchip suggested at 20.19 and post the details of the lappy. Processor, RAM and hard drive details would give everyone a clue!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache