Very slow internet browsing. erratic ping trace!?

sksksksk 09:32 30 Sep 2007

Can anyone help?!

My Internet browsing speeds are painfully slow, and a lot of the time not connecting at all.

I’ve run a speed test. (2MB down 500kb up) – Fine
I’ve scanned for viruses and spyware numerous times – Nothing
I use a wireless connection.
I use Panda security software + firewall
I used tracert to check ping. Half the ping were quick (between 2ms to 20ms) but half timed-out?!

I used the Windows wireless diagnostic check.
It reported…

--Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably because of firewall settings

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to click here: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to click here: A connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to click here: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12037 connecting to click here: The date in the certificate is invalid or has expired
warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to click here: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

I have checked my firewall settings and all the ports seem open.

Any help would be great! Its sooooo frustrating!

have you checked your setting on the wireless router/modem?

sksksksk 09:55 30 Sep 2007

yeah i dont think its the router.

birdface 10:35 30 Sep 2007

Does the Router have its own Firewall or am I thinking of something else.I noticed that you have opened another thread with the same problem,It just confuses folk and you would be better off shutting one down,Then you will get all the replies on the one thread.

sksksksk 11:07 30 Sep 2007

I don't think the router has its own firewall. I just turned off my firewall on my computer but with no effect.

I also dont know how to delete the other thread. My internet is so slow right now as well!!

birdface 11:14 30 Sep 2007

To delete the thread,Tick the little square and then press resolved.

ambra4 11:16 30 Sep 2007

What OS

sksksksk 11:23 30 Sep 2007

windows XP

birdface 11:27 30 Sep 2007

Hi Googled,It will give you something to look at until someone gives you the help that you need. click here= Also try. Control Panel.Administrative tools. Services.Scroll down to DNS Client and make sure that it is set to automatic.Or right click on to your Local area connection on quick start and press repair,See if that shows any problems.Last resort,Delete Panda. Run C Cleaner then reinstall Panda.

sksksksk 11:27 30 Sep 2007

windows XP

Jim_F 11:44 30 Sep 2007

Can you check if you can reach the wireless router reliably - either ping its IP address, or access its setup page ?

If you can't then you may be getting interference on the wireless side and may need to change the channel you are using (when this happens you could still see good signal strength but the connection drops).

Alternatively try resetting the wireless router as these have been known to play up.

By the way - are you on ADSL or Broadband ? - is it just a single device in the chain or is there a Wireless router communicating with a modem ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?