Very slow dvd rw on brand new Dell Inspiron 1300

imunro 10:01 09 Oct 2006

I've just purchased a Dell inspiron 1300 laptop. This is 1.6GHz, and has 512Mb ram. For some reason the dvd rw is extermely slow, so much so that it is practically unusable. I had a much lower spec desktop PC before, for which I purchased a DVD Rewriter, and that could copy a dvd to the hard drive in 10 minutes. My new laptop takes 2 and half hours to do this same operation!

One clue I have is from Roxio, where it says something called DMA isn't activated, I looked this up in the Windows help, and it said it was to do with the CPU being bypassed in disk to dvd communication. I couldn't find any information on how to turn this on though.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Or do I have to resign myself to the fact that Dell dvd rw's are lousy?

theDarkness 10:57 09 Oct 2006

You can switch DMA on by going to the control panel, and clicking on system properties. On the hardware/hardware devices tab, click on device manager and then open "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". Select the channel that your dvd drive is on (primary or secondary) by double clicking on one of them, and then under the advanced settings 'Transfer Mode' make sure you have DMA if available selected, and also auto detection chosen for 'Device Type'.

If you're not sure what channel your drive is on (primary/secondary) or what device (1 or 2), its probably the only one with 'DMA if available' and/or 'auto detection' not selected. I think these are standard settings, so go through both channels and all devices and set the lot to DMA and auto detect :)

You will most likely need to restart your pc for any changes to take effect- good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?