very slow closing IE down

charlton200 21:13 29 Apr 2008

My PC working OK, but when i click the x to shut IE down so only the desktop left, it is so slow,just like its froze, than finally it closes down.

Any idea what could be causing this.

TY

birdface 07:25 30 Apr 2008

Look in Taskmanager to see what programs are running when shutting down.Microsoft looking for updates can cause this.Try turning automatic updates off and see if it works any better.If it works better,Once you have rebooted a couple of times you can try turning Automatic updates back on.

charlton200 08:22 30 Apr 2008

I have done what you said and it does seem a bit quicker but not as fast as it should be.

Thanks for your advise

birdface 09:10 30 Apr 2008

There are other ways to speed up the shut down but unfortunately I am not sure how it is done.Someone else will be able to advise you better.

Terry Brown 09:17 30 Apr 2008

A much better option is FIREFOX, it is quicker than IExplorer and has more features. keep IE for downloading updates.
Terry

Ventad 09:23 30 Apr 2008

I am not sure wether AVG8 has some conflict I get a freeze and just a clear white page sometimes when closing down and have to use Task Manager to close down, I was wondering if AVG8 is now in conflict with SpywareBlaster!!

birdface 09:32 30 Apr 2008

It has a conflict with spywareblaster.McAfee Site Advisor.And maybe Spybot.If just having those problems.maybe a system restore to a time before you had the problems might help, you would then loose AVg 8.Or just stay with it until AVG sorts out the problems.

Ventad 09:37 30 Apr 2008

Thanks for confirmation, I think I will stick with it, I have sent off to microsoft the details when I got the box do I want to send them particulars, it might be nice to see if they come back with something

charlton200 10:34 30 Apr 2008

I have avg 7.5 spywareblaster - spybot.

I have downloded Firefox this week but not started useing it yet

birdface 12:34 30 Apr 2008

You can always give Firefox a try.Then you just click whichever one that you want to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017