Very low sound except in HRTF demo

fadrus 22:42 18 May 2009

Hi,

This is the first post I have made so apologies if I leave out any standard information. You will also see that I deal with computers in words of one syllable.

I have just bought a second hand computer. It is an Acer Aspire 8000 running XP service pack 3.

The sound card is Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA.

My problem is that I can only get sound so low in volume that it is unusable. I am plugging in speakers to the correct port on the back of the computer. Headphones have the same problem.

I have made sure that all volumes are turned up. (The speakers do not have their own volume dial).

I assumed it was a driver issue as the shop that sold the PC had presumably reinstalled the OS given that there was no software on it. I have had numerous attempts at installing drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling from Device Manager all to no avail.

I have chosen two speaker set up in Sound and Audio Devices on the control panel.

The audio configuration is as follows:

Driver Version: 5.10.0.6300
Direct X 9.0c
Audio Controller Via(3059)
AC97 codec ALC201A

The one remaining solution I have found through browsing but haven't yet tried is to get some speakers with their own power source after reading the advice that there may be an amplifier issue. I will try that but can't do so until the weekend.

In any case, fiddling around tonight, I notice that the sound is ok if I go to AC97 Sound Manager and the HRTF demo tab. Playing the demo gives sound at the correct volume through speakers and headphones and I can adjust it with the normal volume controls. This is the only way I have found to get usable sound. Does this mean getting new speakers is pointless and that the solution lies somewhere else?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

ambra4 04:25 19 May 2009

“(The speakers do not have their own volume dial)” does the speaker have a build in amplifier?

Are you sure that you downloading and installing the correct audio driver

Acer Aspire 8000 CMedia Audio Driver

click here

Realtek ALC655 AC'97 AUDIO 5.10.0.6020

click here

fadrus 18:44 19 May 2009

Thanks Ambra.

I tried both downloads. The first I couldn't get to work and the second had no effect.

I have no idea whether there is an amplifier on board or in the speakers. Possibly not and I guess trying out a new set of powered speakers is the next step.

I was just wondering whether the whole thing could really be explained by having no amplifier if I can get a decent sound from the HRTF demo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?