Very low signal

Whosteen 22:16 27 Sep 2006

I have a Westell Versalink Router and a Belkin Wireless connector on my computer. My computer is a different room. On my computer my signal strength is at 1 mbps or nothing. I was wondering of possible solutions, like maybe a new affordable antenae for my router, or maybe a range extender, or something like that. I can't really move my router or computer any closer then they are, so I am trying to see if there is an alternate route.

ArrGee 22:25 27 Sep 2006

You may not have to move the router too far from it's current location. Is it close to the floor any obstructions nearby?

Whosteen 22:44 27 Sep 2006

No, it is sitting on top of the CPU which is on the desk, and there is nothing to obstruct the signal, except for maybe a TV which is on the opposite wall of my computer.

Whosteen 08:38 04 Oct 2006

can nobody help me?

Peants68 13:55 04 Oct 2006

Is your Belkin connector a USB adaptor? I had one and found it weak. Replaced with Belkin PCI desktop adaptor and now picks up signal OK.

Before you spend money however, try different positions for the router heights/distances until you get it right. Centrally placing the router in the house might help. Walls, especially concrete, can reduce signals to zero.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires