VERY impressed with AVG

VoG II 21:51 24 Dec 2004

click here

Having been left to my own devices tonight, I thought I would install AVG and Zone Alarm on daughter's laptop. Norton wanted twenty odd quid for an update and, though it wouldn't break the bank, I thought "no".

Uninstalled Norton first - this took an age (about an hour!!!) and a reboot. Then went back into Add/Remove programs and took out a couple more Norton entries (it is SO insidious).

Then installed AVG 7.0 that I downloaded earlier onto a flash drive.

The installation worked seamlessly, was straightforward and then up came the offer of a scan which I opted for. Result: One trojan identified and deleted. Totally missed by Norton.

Previously I have recommended AVG based on the findings of others here and on other discussion boards. Henceforth I shall be doing so from personal experience.

ZA loaded with no problems either - I didn't expect any as I have used this before.

P.S. never get bamboozled by a salesman in PCW.

Merry Christmas.

Strawballs 22:00 24 Dec 2004

Can't agree more about AVG used AVG6 for a couple of years then tried the Beta version of 7 and when they rolled out the full version of 7 installed that and have had no problem except for the email scanner slowing things down a little bit but a small price to pay for peace of mind in and out.

Tenacious Green 22:29 24 Dec 2004

I too think it is brilliant, with so many people telling me of their woes with Norton. What's more its free. ZA is also tops and free aswell.

Come to think of it I havn't got any Anti-virus/firewall/anti spyware/malware that isn't free.

To think people spend hundreds of pounds. I do wonder why? particularly when I havn't had a virus for ages (touch wood) and ad-aware and spy bot only ever fing tracking cookies if that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:35 24 Dec 2004

Used AVG for a couple of years. Thought it was a great program.

However my Outlook express, ISP and AVG7 don't seem to like each other. So just moved over to Avast that seems equally as good so far.

Have great Christmas.
/\0/\

alan227 23:14 24 Dec 2004

I have used AVG & ZA for a few years now and have never had any problems.

CurlyWhirly 23:18 24 Dec 2004

I first tried out Norton when I first had a PC around 3 years ago and I didn't get on with it so I tried McAfee for the first time last year and liked it so much I am still with them this year!

By the way I always thought you were using McAfee not Norton?

VoG II 07:00 25 Dec 2004

I do use McAfee anti-virus and firewall on this beastie. They have never let me down and I have been content to pay the annual subs which are reasonable. This policy will come up for review when the subs become due again in late 2005, based on findings with AVG on the laptop.

We bought the laptop in early January 2004. It was on offer, as were Works plus NIS 2004. On reflection, the only real advantage from getting NIS was the manual - it has allowed me to answer a couple of questions on here. If ever there was an application that can be described as "bloatware" it has to be NIS.

I am so far thoroughly impressed with AVG. We will see in the course of time how well it copes with the surfing habits of an adventurous teenager and I shall report back as appropriate.

Merry Christmas!

Now, I suppose I shall have to get on with my duties as chief sprout preparer...

Diemmess 07:37 25 Dec 2004

I assume that AVG must leave a 'marker' or checksum on every partition when it has run. I also believe that AVG 6 and 7 use a different code.

When I upgraded to AVG7free on a NEW HyperOS family system (Grandchildren again) in the hope that each of three users would have their own version of 2K to "personalise" - Civil War broke out!

Booting difficulties, missing files and blue screens!

A single installation upgrades well, but if there is more than one system on the box connected by HyperOS, it seems to produce a nasty result while old versions still exist on other drives.

I found the same thing on my machine when I went back to a 98 system now very seldom used.

The problem goes away once all old AVG 6 systems have been upgraded, but it calls for some stealth and rebooting to get there.

Dr. Charles(retired now) 10:10 25 Dec 2004

I have used AVG free for many years and cannot fault it. Version 7 free is better still

tenplus1 10:50 25 Dec 2004

I used to use AVG 6 which lasted me quite a while and worked well before I upgraded to Avast! Antivirus (which is also FREE) which is a little better in my opinion and skinable :)

Taran 11:15 25 Dec 2004

I think that it's worth pointing out the very real fundamental differences between virus infections and trojans.

Viruses, worms, and Trojan Horses are all malicious programs that can cause damage to a computer operating system and application software.

In general terms, a virus attaches itself to a program or file so it can spread from one computer to another, leaving infections as it travels.

Worms spread from computer to computer and they can do so without any help from a person - you don't have to open a file or email for a worm to start working. Worms are generally considered a sub-class of virus and are arguably the greatest threats at present and arec ertainly likely to be the worst threats of the future.

A Trojan Horse appears to the computer user as useful software (usually) but actually goes off on its own agenda and does various things from calling out to allow external traffic a way into your computer to logging keystrokes and sending that information somewhere.

That's how online banking (just for the sake of example) can be compromised, when keystrokes detailing your username and password are recorded and read by someone else.

Antivirus software is, for the most part, little more than a database where the definition files hold information on known virus infections. Files are scanned and compared against this database of known problems.

Most Trojans do not act like a virus, and most antivirus software has difficulty in coping well with Trojans to the same level as virus infections.

In fact, some of the best protection you can get from Trojans involves keeping your operating system up to date.

Overall lines of defense should include operating system updates, a firewall and antivirus product.

It is worth noting though that good antivirus software also scan using behaviours, where if a suspicious behaviour is detected that looks like the behaviour of a known virus, it may be treated as such, even if details of the virus are not currently in the definition files for that program.

Not all antivirus products are equal and I'm not going to open up the old argument about who uses what and why, but I will add my vote to AVG as an excellent product. I have used it in the past and many of my clients use it currently to good effect. It is not my own preferred product but is certainly every bit as good as anything else you can get and better than many.

Since I'm finished typing now, you may all wake up again...

;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?