Very high memory usage

roders 22:59 13 Aug 2003

my system spec as follows-

windows xp (home)

athlon xp 2000
512ddr ram
geo force 3 g.card

Since upgrading to broadband im having very high memory usage.

i.e at the moment all i have running is media player and aol broadband, yet its running at 80% in the task manager (performance).

so running champ manager is an impossibility. yet when i restart and dont use my broadband it works fine

any idears?

thank you for you time

Chegs ® 00:28 14 Aug 2003

You dont say what kind of modem the BB uses,I think that usb uses more cpu than pci(but should wait till someone slightly better versed on the subject replies)XP often runs high cpu usage on mine,but not lately as I have just upgraded everything on my puter.Have a look in Services,see whats running,and shutdown those that aren't needed.There is a webpage with a description of what each of the listed aren't needed,only I carn't locate it just now,sorry.

Chegs ® 00:30 14 Aug 2003

Found it click here

hugh-265156 00:36 14 Aug 2003

is it memory usage or cpu usage?

to rule out spyware which can sometimes cause this,download click here and click here
update both before running and delete all that they find.dont worry they back up anything they remove so it can be restored.

hugh-265156 00:41 14 Aug 2003

ps.

usb should not use 80% cpu.it does use a bit more resourses than nic connection but not so that you would actually notice.

unless you have programs running in the background your cpu usage online should only be hitting 80-100% when loading pages,mine is at 2% once the page loads.

you need to realise that aol is a humunguous overbloated leviathan of a program, coupled with a firewall and windows xp you are bound to use alot of memory, you could try using a memory manager such as freeRAM if its causing a major nuisance, games (except online games) are best played offline with your firewall and AV software switched off anyway.

hugh-265156 01:16 14 Aug 2003

LOL!

i dont use AOL but i have done in the past and even though i personally did not like,it i think this is rather strong words horiz5.

i doubt AOL is the problem and with 512 ram i doubt also that a memory manager will help.

but is there really a problem? my system is similar and the memory is in the region of 70% all the time. i have rambus memory that cost a large(humungously overblown) amount and I'd be a bit miffed if it the system put it to use.

didnt put it to use is what i meant to say.

hugh-265156 01:48 14 Aug 2003

70% all the time of memory or cpu usage is rather high i think.

im no teccie so i may be wrong.

example/ i have 512 ddr and a 1.8P4 its no flying machine but here is my usage just browsing.

CPU varies between 2-7% up 100% while loading a page.
PHYSICAL MEMORY 512MB
USED 161MB
FREE 350MB
UTILAZATION 32%

SWAP SPACE 1248MB
USED 124MB
FREE 1124MB
UTILAZATION 10%

VIRTUAL MEMORY 1760MB
USED 285MB
FREE 1474MB
UTILAZATION 16%

muppetmark 07:33 14 Aug 2003

I would also be concerned about trojans and virus problems when the CPU/memory is using that amount only when online, do you have a firewall running ? Can you check bytes in / bytes out on your connection ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?