Very high CPU Usage with intense disk activity

Pine Man 12:31 25 Feb 2006

I am running XP+SP2, Pentium 4 2.4ghz, 1gb ram and have three hard drives.

Last night I was logged onto the internet through Tesco BB, accessing emails in Outlook Express, and all of a sudden it sounded as if something was trying to access the floppy drive for about 3 or 4 seconds followed by intense hard drive activity. It wasn’t possible to tell which hard drive it was but it kept doing it continually and I checked Windows Task Manager and saw that the CPU usage was virtually 100% all the time.

I restarted the computer and it worked perfectly with the CPU usage between 0 and 4% even when connected to the internet. I can find no problems and no evidence of any attacks from an outside source.

Is something on the way out or is it just one of those funny computer moments?

surfsteruk 13:32 25 Feb 2006

Have you installed any kind of new Software recently?

Sometimes if you have Virus checkers, spyware detectors or Backup utilies like Goback etc they may do an automatic background scans.

Pine Man 16:13 25 Feb 2006

Thanks for your reply.

Nothing new added recently but I have got NIS 2006 which certainly checks drives but nothing as intense and prolonged as on this occasion. I have also got other software that may well scan from time to time but this was nothing like I've ever heard before.

Spooky isn't it!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)