very full hard drive

frostypug 20:28 20 Aug 2008

I have a laptop and do not have any programs installed except vista which came with it. I dont have any saved documents or files and yet my hard drive is half full
It is an acer laptop
processor intel(r)celeron(r)cpu [email protected] GHz
memory 1.99 GB
dual hard drive
C drive 16.5 free of 32.5 GB
D drive 32.1 free of 32.2
Should I put something on the D drive if so what?
I dont need the office part of vista so is it safe to delete that part without affective the main vista.
All I have is avg and defraggler and c cleaner
I dont know if I am wrong but it does seem a lot of hard drive to take up by so little

MsTechie 20:34 20 Aug 2008

The best solution to get around this problem is to change the download destination to D:/ i.e internet downloads, programme files etc.

rapieredge 20:37 20 Aug 2008

my advise would be to do the following: start>
right click on computer> manage> then click on drive management> right click on the D: drive and delete it> once finished rightclick on hte C: drive and choose expand.

Only do the above if you are sure and that you have backed up any important files. This will in effect create a single partition of approx 65Gb out of the 80Gb that you have (some of it is being used for recovery software)

also google for the terms "expanding and deleting partitions to get a clearer idea"

I am Spartacus 20:37 20 Aug 2008

It's probably Sytstem Restore using a lot of it. Turn it off, turn it back on then create a new restore point.

frostypug 20:57 20 Aug 2008

Thanks spartacus that has restored a lot of space

frostypug 12:25 22 Aug 2008

I still have hardly reduced it. Does anyone know how much space the Vista operating system takes up because apart from that I only have avg and c cleaner on there
Have tried disc clean and compression no difference

DippyGirl 12:33 22 Aug 2008

My software partition - Vista HP (No SP1) and Programs and not much else is currently c20Gb

frostypug 13:13 22 Aug 2008

I have done this and now I have far more disc space on c. I never used the d disc anyway.
Many thanks. Would it be a good idea to do this on my desktop as the same use applies?

Zeppelyn 13:48 22 Aug 2008

Have you got a file called hyberfil.sys on the root of your C: drive, this can take up a fair amount of space. If you dont use hibernation then turn it off, heres how:-

1/ Click Start followed by All Programs and then Accessories

2/ on the Accessories menu Right Click on the Command Prompt

3/ from the drop down menu, Click on the Run Administrator option

4/ The Command Prompt window will now open

5/ At the command prompt type: powercfg -H off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017