Very basic networking questions part 2

cas5090 10:12 13 Mar 2008

Hi, I had a topic running on which router to buy

click here

Thanks for the advice there, I now have a netgear DG834G (version 4) wireless modem router.

Currently my XP desktop is on broadband with talktalk and a speedtouch modem. I have a Vista Home Laptop that has never been on the internet yet.

Do I first run the netgear disk on my desktop and make a wired connection (which is fine, the desktop doesn't need to be wireless) then run the netgear disk on my laptop and make a wireless connection? Does this mean I will, whilst setting the network up, have to first plug the netgear modem into the desktop, then the laptop?

As you'll be able tot ell I am not very sure of what I am doing but do want to give it a go.

As my son will need the internet for revision this evening, is there some way of saving my current settings with the speedtouch modem in case the networking goes wrong? if so, where will i find these setting?

Many thanks.

MAJ 11:51 13 Mar 2008

"Do I first run the netgear disk on my desktop and make a wired connection (which is fine, the desktop doesn't need to be wireless)..."

Yes, insert and run the disk, it will guide you through, step by step, of what to plug in and WHEN to plug it in and what settings to enter. You'll need your Talktalk Welcome booklet if you can't remember your username and password.

"......then run the netgear disk on my laptop and make a wireless connection? Does this mean I will, whilst setting the network up, have to first plug the netgear modem into the desktop, then the laptop?"

No, you don't need to do anything with the laptop, cas5090, other than make sure that's it's built-in wireless adapter is active, check your laptop's manual for that, but usually it's a matter of flicking a switch or pressing the Fn key and some other key, on the laptop's keyboard. The laptop will be connecting wirelessly to the router, so during the Desktop's setup (with the disk) make sure you set up the wireless option, you'll see it when installing the router. You'll be asked to set up wireless security and set up a password for that wireless security. Choose the WPA-PSK level of security.
When wireless has been set up, turn on the laptop and it should automatically detect the wireless signal from the router and ask you to enter the wireless security password you created, do that and click connect and you should be surfing on the laptop.

"As my son will need the internet for revision this evening, is there some way of saving my current settings with the speedtouch modem in case the networking goes wrong? if so, where will i find these setting?"

You should still be able to use the modem in the normal way, cas5090, installing the router wont stop you doing that. It's just that you can't have them both operating on the same line at the same time, so just switch off the modem while you're using the modem to connect. You, obviously, wont be able to use laptop's wireless option to surf while using the modem as the router will be switched off.

MAJ 11:55 13 Mar 2008

........so just switch off the *ROUTER* while you're using the modem to connect.

cas5090 12:18 13 Mar 2008

Ok thanks for that.

My desktop is a long way from the phone socket so I currently use what I think is an RJ11 long cable to connect my speedtouch modem to the filter/phone socket.

Do I use this same cable to connect the new wireless router to the filter/phone socket?

Cheers.

MAJ 13:46 13 Mar 2008

Yes you can do, cas5090.

cas5090 15:51 13 Mar 2008

Great, thanks for that, going to try it very soon. Fingers crossed.

cas5090 17:10 13 Mar 2008

OK I am afraid Ihave not got very far.
I am sure everything is correctly connected up, I got the green lights showing that were meant to show on the router (power, adsl, wireless and lan port 4 which i used to connect to my pc)

Next step - it fails, says "NO CABLE OR ROUTER DETECTED"

Any help greatly appreciated.

cas5090 10:16 14 Mar 2008

I am now sorted on both the desktop and laptop, can anyone advise me as to how to share the printer? I do not have the installation disc for my canon mp130 all in one as I lent them out and never got them back, will this be a problem?

Thanks.

cas5090 12:55 14 Mar 2008

anyone? cheers.

MAJ 14:37 14 Mar 2008

Lol sorry about that, cas5090, I missed your posts.
To share the printer you'll have to turn on file and printer sharing on both computers. Then make sure both XP and Vista both have the same Workgroup name (exactly). Then right click on your printer's icon on the desktop and choose to share it. Here are a couple of pages for you to read. click here and click here XP and Vista are slightly different in the way they do it, but those will explain it for you better than I could. You can download your printer's drivers if you click here

cas5090 15:54 14 Mar 2008

Thanks very much for that maj, will I have to do anything with the firewalls? I am using windows own on both pc's, cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?