A very anoying startup problem!!

Housten 16:14 03 May 2015

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

From all the help I have had from this forum I know there are some very computer literate people out there and I am hoping one of you will be able to help me.

I recently got a new(ish) computer, and it has a military quality motherboard – whatever that means. I thought it had 4 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports. I have a 2 TB external hard drive [ a Lacie Porsche ] which is USB 3.0 so I connected it to the back USB 3.0 port. This has its own power supply so I only switch it on when I need it.

During the last week I was looking at the computer details [ through Belarc Advisor ] when I saw it said there were three USB 3.0 ports – two being on the back. Well I have a 1 TB Seagate external hard drive which is powered by the computer. I have found out by experimenting/playing with the ports that the USB 3.0 on the front of the computer seems to be able to copy files etc., at 30 to 60 GB/ps whereas the rear USB 3.0 ports seem to be able to move at 120+ GB/ps. So naturally I swapped the 1 TB machine to the back. To do this I switched off the computer, changed the drive over and then re-booted. And immediately ran into a problem! The computer stated that ‘Bootmagr’ – or something similar - was missing. I switched off the computer, unplugged the 1 TB drive, switched the computer back on and HEY!! PRESTO everything was back to normal.

I have since found out that the USB 3.0 ports at the back are especially configured to boot from USB drives, and that this can be altered. And this is now annoying me. Because the 1 TB drive is powered by the computer it must say to the computer – as it boots up - that it is ready, the computer looks on the drive but my operating system [ Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit ] is not on that drive, it is on my SSD. So the computer will not boot up. I have been told that it is possible to change this by going into the boot up at start up. This I have tried but – as people say – a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!!! Many, many years ago I used to ( occasionally ) go into boot up at start up and thought I knew what to do, but after looking at this set up I am forced to admit I am lost.

For instance there are at least 12 – probably 13 – sequence options for different things to be looked at during a start up. And if that isn’t bad enough below that list are two ‘priorities’ which list first my SSD and then my ‘ordinary’ hard drive. I tried shifting the SSD up to number 1 in the list, but to exit you are offered the opportunity to save or not save any changes you may have made. If you press save you can not get out, but if you press not save you can get out, but you haven’t saved any of the changes you have made!!

So what I would like is if some kind person out there who knows how this boot up works and can tell me – in great detail – then I would be very, very grateful. Not only for the help but also for the fact that I could actually use my 1 TB drive efficiently. As an afterthought what I have written presumes I have got my thinking correct. At first I did not think I had but realised that I hoped I was correct because my 2 TB drive had to be switched on, and so when the computer boots up it is actually switched off and will not have any influence on the computer whilst boot up takes place he said hopefully!

rdave13 16:46 03 May 2015

If you're not comfortable with BIOS or UEFI then why not let the cable be connected to the back of the PC and when you need to use the drive simply plug in the (mini) usb (I assume)to the hard drive's case, which can be at the side of the PC within easy reach.

Housten 11:49 04 May 2015

rdave13,

Why is it that I can not se the wood for the trees, eh? Brain dead that is what I am!! Thank you, rdave13, for stating the - oh! so!! - obvious. I got my knickers in such a twist that it never occurred to me. Thank you so much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone