This version of Windows XP is no longer up to date

petesy1967 13:12 17 Mar 2007

Last week I ran AShampoo Winoptimiser 2007. Since the when I've been getting the message 'This version of Windows XP is no longer up to date'in my tool tray. When I click on it, it takes me to the Microsoft automatic updates site and when I scan for updates it tells me that I have downloaded SP2 but it needs installed. I installed SP2 about 18 mnths ago.
I have tried to uninstall the existing SP2 but all attemps fail with the message 'Service Pack 2 The system cannot find the file specified.'
My PC no longer recognises my flash sticks when I plug them into USB ports, tho I'm not sure if this is related.
As my Packard Bell came pre-loaded with Windows XP, I am unable to reinstall XP on its own.

Help
Pete

ICF 13:28 17 Mar 2007

Use System restore and go back to a time when all was fine and dandy

petesy1967 13:38 17 Mar 2007

I have tried system restore back and no joy

VoG II 13:41 17 Mar 2007

click here may help.

SB23 13:44 17 Mar 2007

Winoptimizer 2007 saves any changes to the recycle bin and within the program itself. If you've not emptied the bin restore the files, but, if you've emptied it then I don't know.

I've just reinstalled the full version because it cuts down on the extra programs, but I've never noticed any major problems with it before, especially with the OS in mind.

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017