version of mail merge

highside 18:03 11 Feb 2006

Can anyone help please even if it is a silly question.
My version of WORD (Win XP) uses a Mail Merge Wizard and seems to create data sources in database form.
At college their version is much easier to use and uses a Mail Merge Helper and creates data sources straightforwardly, as a easy to see and save Word docs. Question - what do I need to get to have this version of Word/Office ?
Thanks

VoG II 18:15 11 Feb 2006

Which version of Word do you have - Help|About to find out. Is it part of Works Suite or Microsoft Office?

Forum Editor 18:22 11 Feb 2006

needs to access a data source before it can work. That is, when you want to insert data into a Word document you must point the wizard to a relevant data source, such as a database, or a spreadsheet, or another Word document, or even an Outlook or Outlook Express address book.

If you want to use another Word document as the data source you should create a table in that document, with the items in the header row representing the items that will appear in the mail merge fields.

highside 19:35 11 Feb 2006

Have Works Suite.
I understand what the forum Editor says but my point is really, that the version used at my college starts with the main document, (letter say) and then you select "Create Database" not the other way around. The merge fields and data are then typed into a word table which on exit is saved to disk or whatever as a word file.

The version on my system seems to need a data source first.

VoG II 19:41 11 Feb 2006

If you get the full version of Office ( click here for example) it should behave in the same way as Word at college.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?