Versatility of printer ink

23790954 11:57 24 Aug 2005

I use a Canon i865 printer, which was purchased new, over a year ago. As an O.A.P. I do not use the printer on a regular daily basis. I find that after a while the printer does not print, what is actually shown on the monitor, due to the ink cartridges not functioning 100%.
At the present time I have just printed an A4 picture, which the printer started printing brilliantly, but by halfway down the sheet of paper, the picture became very distorted. Each time I change the ink cartridges, the printing becomes excellent again, but only for a month or two before the same thing happens again. Is it possible to purchase a make of ink which would not react in this manner, or a means of rectifying this problem. Any suggestions at all would be very much appreciated, in order to rectify this problem. Thanks for any help given.

johnnyrocker 12:04 24 Aug 2005

sounds to me like the heads are getting clogged why not try cleaning prior to printing?

johnny

interzone55 12:06 24 Aug 2005

If you don't use the printer often you will have to clean the heads on a regular basis. Having never owned a Canon printer I can't help you with how to do this, but there will be an option in the printer software.

jack 12:12 24 Aug 2005

Not entirely clear by what you mean by 'distorted'
a better description would help.
However as a general guide.
The Canon, as with similar makes [HP Lexmark et al is a 'BubbleJet'that is ink in the cartrige is ejected by a tiny heater turning some ink into steam to eject a droplet.
Unused the ink will dry out and clog a jet or two.
The best way to prevent this is to print a something daily using all colours.
Or take the cartrige[s] out and put in a snap shut poly bag with a wad of damp tissue.
The head clean routine ony any printer wastes a lot of ink.

dave_and_confused 12:21 24 Aug 2005

Canon printer usually have a removable head. See Fitting the Ink Head at click here

Remove the cartirdges and to the right there should be a lever. Flip this up and the cartridge cradle will be loose. You can remove this and then carefully clean the heads underneath with and cotton bud dipped in Isopropanol from a local chemist. Allow to dry and replace.

I would also recommend original artridges as i have had problems with compatibles drying in my Canon.

David4637 15:50 24 Aug 2005

You need to print something on your printer about once every 2 weeks. If you do the cart heads won't dry out and you won't need to use the cleaning cycle. Try to find a small simple picture with all the colours and you won't have probs any more. I have a Canon. David

benzie 20:52 28 Aug 2005

I use compatibles all the time from Tonik 4 separates Kept 1 of each colour empty cartridge and part fill with cleaning fluid ye for this job
vectorjet recovery fluid / try 7day shop on internet/ best of luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?