verifying burnt discs with ashampoo burning studio is driving me MAD

theDarkness 02:21 30 Dec 2008

Lol. I have been using ashampoo burning studio for a long time (currently on version 8.02) and only today it has started refusing to verify any discs! It doesnt even get to 1%, i just get told instantly the data is incorrect, and supposedly have a bad burn. I can retry on the verification but again, its an instant fail. Its not the brand of discs or my drive as they have worked 100% in the past, and i have had no problems before with v8.02. I dont have any viruses, and have just tried a different brand of discs and a rewritable, but the same issue with the instant verification failings.. any ideas?

theDarkness 02:23 30 Dec 2008

Ps i am using xp, my vista laptop will work perfectly, but i really want to know why its suddenly stopped verifying on xp!

MCE2K5 02:27 30 Dec 2008
  theDarkness 02:52 30 Dec 2008

thanks. yep, i guess theres no option but to try another version or reinstall. Its odd as ive not updated or installed anything new to xp! very odd as to why it would suddenly start to fail

theDarkness 05:31 30 Dec 2008

It makes no difference. I have also noticed that after burning these discs and getting a bad verification, they can now no longer be read on any system to allow a full erase of the disc (rewritables). It seems odd that ashampoo could ruin the disc with completely unreadable sectors, but the discs now click for ages after putting them in, and again when a burn does start and eventually end, i get the bad verification. I have tried a full erase of the same discs on the other system, also using different programs, and even a full write to see if the unreadable sector can be fixed, but again it will still click away! very odd..

rdave13 09:09 30 Dec 2008

Could be DVD drive failing. Do you have another burning program you could try?

theDarkness 13:11 30 Dec 2008

Its definately not the drive as ive now tried the unmarked disc in both computers, and clicks away on both trying to read it, before erasing and burning the disc, or when trying to verify or copy from it as a test. Ashampoo has killed my dvd rewritables! I have now tried more than one rewritable and its just the same, I now have more than one 'bad' disc. I have an old copy of nero but i dont think it works on a modern system very well either, although i would like to try and work out as to why ashampoo has suddenly started to act in this way when the exact same version has never faulted before. I have not installed anything recently and both systems are not connected to the net

theDarkness 13:12 30 Dec 2008

Its definately not the drive as ive now tried the unmarked disc in both computers, and clicks away on both trying to read it, before erasing and burning the disc, or when trying to verify or copy from it as a test. Ashampoo has killed my dvd rewritables! I have now tried more than one rewritable and its just the same, I now have more than one 'bad' disc. I have an old copy of nero but i dont think it works on a modern system very well either, although i would like to try and work out as to why ashampoo has suddenly started to act in this way when the exact same version has never faulted before. I have not installed anything recently and both systems are not connected to the net

theDarkness 16:31 30 Dec 2008

Ive installed nero, rewritable dvd disc is still playing up on the verifying process, so looks like ill have to buy another rewritable to see if it ruins that also.. to know its not the disc.. despite the fact its got no scratches and fully formatted before each burn. Ive already burnt files to 5 normal dvds on xp with ashampoo, which didnt verify, so dont really fancy trying another burn on the xp system with nero. If i try a normal disc with nero for the last time, if it fails with nero this time, then it looks like i may have to be doing a full reinstall of xp to get rid of the issue. very odd

tullie 16:56 30 Dec 2008

No need to format the disk.

theDarkness 17:42 30 Dec 2008

I know, but since some once perfect rewritable discs are playing up for no reason i thought a full erase might get them back to their original state, to be used on any pc.. but nothing works. Since the discs give an instant bad verification at 1%,even if the content is seemingly ok, the problem must lie at the start of the disc.. something is on the disc that remains even if i try and reformat it, preventing the disc from writing or reading properly. Is there an area which is not erased even in a full reformat? Perhaps some sort of damaged directory that gives an overview of what is on the disc? Perhaps that is the problem but I would surely need different software to totally bring the discs back to a near unused status if so

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?