Verification of Back Up

melvyn 17:19 22 Oct 2006

I used to back up using DVDs, now I have a new large extra hard drive which I back up onto each week. I only back up my D Drive (C is used for applications), and my question is how can I confirm that explorer has copied every file across.

I am backing up into a folder with the current date as title, so when explorer has copied all the files across I can look at properties for this dated folder and I can see the number of folders and files. However when I look at properties of the D Drive, all I see is the piechart showing that I have used a total of XXX Mb. is there a way of seeing on a drive the number of folders and files? I am aware that cluster sizes will be one reason why the sizes are not the same, hence my wanting to check the folders/files

anskyber 17:23 22 Oct 2006

Looking at point 12 it suggests it is an option when performing the back up. click here

melvyn 17:37 22 Oct 2006

Hi anskyber,

Incredible fast reply - thanks. Unfortunately I have a couple of queries:
Firstly when I select system tools I do not get a "back-up" option. The options I have are: Activate windows, Character map, Disk clean up, Disk defreag, Files and settings transfer, Scheduled tasks, Security centre, system info and system restore. Any ideas?

Reading the guide you directed me to I am assuming that the backup is saved as one file with a "bkt" tail. If this is the case I could only use it to restore the whole D drive, rather than one particular file which has a problem.

Am i reading this correctly?

VoG II 17:40 22 Oct 2006

click here to install MS Backup.

melvyn 18:02 22 Oct 2006

What support!!

Thanks VoG for the location of backup. I've installed it and used it.

Thanks anskyber - I can see that a verification has taken place, and am able to restore a single file rather than the whole back-up.

Wonderful support - thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?