VCR via svideo lead?

bananaz 16:41 30 Apr 2004

hi ppl (new member). is it possible to connect my vcr to my pc, via svideo lead? ive just got a new DELL dimension 4600i & had a few modifications made to it, including a 128MB GeForce FX5200 8x AGP card, which has the svideo socket. is this socket only an output, ie to another moniter? what i want to do is connect the vhs, so that i can watch/record vhs tapes & also watch TV, as i have an arial cable already in place. im very much new to the pc life & need some clear step by step instructions lol. im using windows XP HOME. thanks in advance.

johnnyrocker 17:06 30 Apr 2004

you will have to source your audio seperately as svs only carries video info. you might also need some advia at click here.

johnny.

bloo meeny 17:11 30 Apr 2004

Not familiar with the GeForce card but bear in mind that the S-video socket ONLY carries the VIDEO and not audio.

Plenty of connection options here ... click here

bananaz 22:52 30 Apr 2004

yup i realise i cant get audio through the svideo cable, so ive connected the 2 phono leads to a Y-adapter, which changes down to a single 3.5mm jack plug & i can hear the vcr but cant see anything. ive down loaded a tv tool app, but still cant seem to get the system working.

sedgi 01:50 02 May 2004

Socket only output, you can use your vcr to record video from the Pc, but you can`t playback to Pc or watch tv on the Pc. You need to install a tv card to do this.

Not sound advice but an idea!

I had the same problem with my ATI Radeon when connecting svideo to my widescreen, had to unplug the monitor from the pc, before turning on, then boot and I recieve a signal through the AV Svideo channel, Try disconnecting or disable your monitor output.

you can choose the output of your griphix card in display in control pannel/settings/advanced.
I could not get to grips with mine so I took the easy option and disconected the monitor.

sedgi 02:25 02 May 2004

Been playing around with my settings and I now have both my monitor and tv conected at this very moment, you have to select which you want as primary to watch video, if tv switch tv to primary and monitor to secondary or vice-verser.
use the ATI help if you get stuck. good luck.

slimbo51 10:44 02 May 2004

Just done this myself the other day.

Setup was......

Aver media capture card using Neo software (34 Quid).

Sent to America for interface cable Scart to s-video plus sound ($21.95 with free postage, took about a week to arrive).

Most european cables do not work in colour only B/W. Tried home grown cables and its true alright B/W only. This cable from states worked right first time.

I wanted to got from Scart on the video as the picture and sound quality is much better than using composite signal.

Copies any VHS tape to H/drive and then to DVD burner.

Have found need to run the tape with capture card on for about 10 min before starting the capture, to get everything to settle down. Very good picture and sound quality achieved.

The main prob to be aware of is that the signal must be from VHS to PC as most cables seem to be the other way round. Took me an hour on the net to find the right cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone