vcd disks

barty 18:51 05 Feb 2003

i know there are cd and dvd disks but are there vcd disks. I am using ulead video studio 6 and it lets me record a video as a vcd but when my niece tries to play it on her dvd player it gives the message - incorrect format- even though her dvd player states that it can playback vcd disks.Sorry if this sounds silly but i hope someone can enlighten me.
thanks in advance bartyddu.

K_H 19:30 05 Feb 2003

Has she got a pc? if she wants to play the disk on a pc without any software, (in XP) just insert the disk go to 'My Computer' and click on the mpeg file, in there there shout be a file click on that file and go to open with>>>>>> then go on Windows media player.
ive also got a VCD disk that wont play on my DVD so i just stick to my PC.
hope i was able to assist you
regards
K

siouxah1 19:56 05 Feb 2003

barty,

I think that some DVDs will play commercial VCD, (Far East type thing), but not VCD written to CDR. Ideally your machine (DVD Player) should be capable of reading CDR.

Check the site below to see if your machine is compatible.

click here

Regards Brian

mattbell1975 20:09 05 Feb 2003

yes a machine has got to be able to read cdrs aswell as vcd/svcd mpeg all that sort of stuff a region free player would held also

pj123 22:28 05 Feb 2003

I have just burned 2 VCDs using Nero. Both play back perfectly on my DVD player.

I tried Ulead DVD Picture show but you have to set a time delay, with Nero each picture stays on screen until you press next on the Remote.

I believe in Ulead you have to make sure you tick PAL as the playback format, the default appears to be NTSC (american)before you burn.

siouxah1 12:06 06 Feb 2003

barty,

just in passing. I'm sure that video studio 6 will do so, but just check the written disc with explore to check that it has the required 4 folders. CDI, EXT, MPEGAV, SEGMENT, VCD. They each contain up to four files apart from SEGMENT which has none.

Regards Brian

Ç̧ÇØ 15:35 06 Feb 2003

what is the make and model of the dvd player?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?