Various updates take ages to install

john bunyan 21:58 13 Aug 2014
Answered

Most regulars here are reasonably PC savvy, I suspect. I wonder if casual users spend so much time on maintenance? Today, on a laptop I only use every few days, I spent almost the whole evening on maintenance as follows: 1.An iTunes update, 2.Adobe reader update. 3.Avira (free) major update - a bit complicated. 4. 14 Windows updates. 5. Long Avira scan,6. CCleaner scan and reg clean.7. Create restore point before fiddling with registry to install Avira web orotection. And so on. Earlier I did similar things on a relative's laptop, plus making an image .

I find that some relatives etc do few of these things. When asked to help them I find ADWCleaner, Malawarebytes and Superantispyware often finf problems. How widespread is this, I wonder?

Woolwell 10:03 14 Aug 2014

More widespread than we think I suspect. Regularly find items like iTunes, etc has not been updated. With iTunes the large size of the updates puts people off. Looked after a lady's iPad and found that many of the apps hadn't been updated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:06 14 Aug 2014
Answer

I expect its very common as for most people the PC / laptop is just a tool - to write emails / play games / browse the web (hence the move to tablets).

The average user doesn't have a clue (or care) about how it works, as long as it does the job.

When it starts failing they then get the repairman in or sling it and buy another:0) Only yesterday some one commented about my 6yr old Toshiba satellite laptop saying they used to have one but it slowed down so they got rid.

Some of us are DIYers or tinkerers (see an old thread about people who have to fiddle with their PCs) and will maintain and repair our own appliances.

My wife has finally realised I can't throw anything away until I have had a go at taking it apart and trying to fix it :0)

sunnystaines 11:15 14 Aug 2014

when an update is running slow it is often caused ny another update running in the background you are unaware of. adobe reader will often run its update hidden in the background and you will not notice till you get a pop up at the end of the update. AV programs are another if only they could send a pop up saying updating av defs.

john bunyan 14:31 14 Aug 2014

My point was not so much about automatic updates and scans, but maintenance such as making a restore point prior to installing a new programme, defragging, making an image or a clone regularly, making frequent data back ups - and so on. Most of my younger relatives are very lax in those areas.

Woolwell 14:39 14 Aug 2014

Most of my younger relatives are the same "What is a restore point" is the likely answer. All that they are interested in is does it work. If it doesn't they seek help. Recently discovered that one has a sound problem. Works ok on headphone but not on speakers but since he for, 95% of the time, uses headphones he hadn't mentioned it. I'll have to get around to have a look at the system. Probably at the same time run malwarebytes, etc and see what hasn't been updated. Even my wife isn't good at data back ups. It needs to be automated and run in the background. I'm thinking of setting up a small cloud system for back-ups.

IMO defragging is less necessary and shouldn't be done on an SSD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone