validation, validation,validation

louandel 18:11 30 Jul 2007

hi,

no sooner do you get one site sorted than another problem appears. I was checking my site click here. fine in IE. Checked it in firefox and Netscape and the navigation bar does not work at all. It is made using slices in adobe fireworks. After what I have learnt from other posts this could be to do with the fact that the way the slices are created a table is automatically created in the coding to contain them. could this be the problem? Since starting this I have learned Netscape struggles with nested tables. could this be the reason why netscpe isnt reacting?

The other thing is the image of the red piano just doesnt show in either netscape or firefox. This has got me really flumoxed! thanks for your thoughts

louandel

djbenny 20:21 30 Jul 2007

the nav bar works in my firefox but they each open in new windows.

louandel 20:56 30 Jul 2007

oh no it gets worse. i think my heads going to explode....

louandel

rachwelian 16:54 31 Jul 2007

I think using tables for your layout is a bad idea. After all, tables are used for TABULAR data, of which a layout is not.

If you wanted, I could help you redesign your site into something a lot more user friendly as well as modern. No offence, but your site looks a little... dated.

louandel 23:10 31 Jul 2007

hi rachwellian,

I agree tables to create structure is a bad idea. this is a very old site of mine whhich i never validated well. Its also got some really naff stuf on it.

ie. i wouldnt use slices etc to create nav bar; the main body should not really be jpg; it does not hang together there just individual bitsa nd pieces on a page. I should have used css more.it was made at a time when i was learning dreamweaver and fireworks and truying every thing. but and its a big but. If i put piano teacher kent into the yahoo.co.uk it comes out as the number one site. so i cant really be bothered to fix bits and pieces to something that aint really broken.

however Id love to hear your ideas. if you've time

thanks

louandel

rachwelian 10:28 01 Aug 2007

Hi Louandel.

Of course I have time for you. Let me know what you want to discuss.

If you wanted, I could restructure your site into something more semantic, controlling all the aesthetics with CSS...

louandel 12:14 01 Aug 2007

thanks rachwellian. Learniung the finer details of CSS is definately something on my list for the future. Its having the time. And it is something I want to do myself.

but thanks for the offer!

louandel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?